Chapter 31

Becca's POV:

~*~Flashback~*~

"I don't understand why you're making so many cookies," she walked into the kitchen and sat on the barstool across from the counter.  "I'll only eat a few, sweetheart."

 Mom's brunette hair was pulled up into a messy bun, held in place by a pencil. Her black rimmed glasses sat on the bridge of her nose. 

I shrugged. "I'll take them down to the shelter. They won't go to waste."

"Well, don't take all of the cupcakes. The red velvet ones are my favorite," she smiled warmly at me. 

I forced a smile. "I know."

"Are you ever gonna talk to me?" she raised an eyebrow and reached out to touch my hand, stopping me from stirring what was in the mixing bowl. 

I looked up at her.  "Talk to you about what?"

"Lady bug, you've been here for 2 days.  Eric won't stop calling. What's he done this time?"

"More of the same, mom."

"Oh no," she shook her head. "Another one?"

"Same girl," I explained. "I had a feeling that it hadn't stopped...but, I couldn't bring myself to admit it."

She let out a troubled sigh and rubbed her thumb across my hand.  "Please tell me that you've left him for good this time?"

"I have," I nodded. "That's why I'm not returning his calls."

She nodded. "Should I call David?"  She mentioned the name of the same attorney she had kept on retainer for years

"No," I shook my head. "I'll take care of it, mom.  You have enough going on," I went back to my mixing bowls.  "Are you still talking to Simon Cowell?"

"Yes!" She grabbed a cookie from the pile infront of her and broke it in half. "He's offering me quite the deal," she grinned. "Pretty sure I'm gonna take the job."

"You'll be gone all the time," I frowned.

"Yeah," she shrugged. "But, daughter doesn't have anything tying her down anymore...so she can come with me whenever she wants."

I laughed. "Oh yeah, cause I can just take off and travel the world with you again."

"Oh come on! It'll be fun! Just like old times!" she said with excitement in her voice. "Maybe we'll find you a new love interest!"

"Oh yeah," I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Cause the latest one was such a prize."

"Eh...he talked a good game, you gotta give him credit for that atleast," she shrugged. "Come with me to London.  Ya never know...you could meet your soul mate."

"Oh mom," I waved her off and put another pan of cookies in the oven. 

The phone rang and she reached over to grab it, swallowing the mouthful of cookie that she had. "Hello?  No, Eric, I'm not putting her on the phone.  She doesn't want to talk to you.  No. No. Goodbye, Eric.  Please stop calling here."

I looked at her and rolled my eyes.  "Sorry, mom."

"Oh, Becca," she shook her head at me and stood to her feet. "Don't you dare be sorry.  I'm your mother..I'm supposed to be with you through things like this," she moved around the counter and took me into her arms.  "I'll always be here, lady bug."