Need (Part I)

Petunia's bridesmaids dresses are pink. A horrendous color to wear when you're a redhead, but perhaps the woman is afraid of being upstaged by her sister (even after all this time, all these years). Lily's hair, while darkened to a lovely auburn over the last seven summers, still clashes terribly with the tulle dresses, making her appear a bit washed out and in need of color in her usually lovely skin

Still, she looks gorgeous in comparison with Natsumi, whose obnoxiously bright red hair already looked like a flaming howler. Now she looks like a flaming howler tucked into cotton candy. Lily insists that she looks wonderful (delicious, was her exact wording--She tried taking a naught little nip which caused Natsumi to yelp in surprise and embarrassment), but Natsumi isn't buying it.

"I suppose you are right," Lily sighs, conceding, and Natsumi is immediately suspicious, "...I would enjoy you out of the dress rather than in it."

Natsumi gives a little slap to Lily's arm as she laughs, "You're--You're so!"

"Nobody's around," Lily dares to move in to tickle Natsumi's sides, "We can be open here...Ourselves."

"Until someone walks in!"

Lily sticks her tongue out, "Da's fast asleep, his medication knocks him out cold for the afternoon, and Mum and Tuney are out with Vernon looking at caterers." She leans in, their foreheads almost touching. "We're completely alone."

Dread and anticipation bloom in Natsumi's stomach.

It must show on her because Lily cackles as Natsumi's face grows hot, "You're so cute, Nat!!" She pokes her index fingers into her sides, "I wouldn't dare have my way with you before taking responsibility..." She trails off, humming, "Unless, of course, you're not as old fashioned as I thought?"

Natsumi remembers the first time she touched herself. How Lily's face, her words, had repeated themselves in her imagination. She shakes her head, "I'm--I just want the moment to be perfect!"

This sounds convincing enough, and Lily suddenly looks determined. "Of course. Anything you want--Anything for you, Nat." She moves in for a hug, intimate and close, "You want candles? Flowers? Music? I'll get it for you. A view? Oh we could honeymoon in Spain, away from the war for a little bit... Or maybe your home country? Would you like that, Nat?"

She doesn't know. She's only been to Japan a few times in her early childhood years, and she hardly remembers a thing about it. Really, she's never had an interest in traveling. Everything she's ever needed or wanted has been in the United Kingdom.

But Natsumi hums. As if any (or all) of Lily's suggestions sounded just fine to her. She hums and breathes in her friend's scent: something sweet and airy. Distant and floral. It relaxes her. Despite her precarious situation. "Do you really think we'll be able to escape? The war, I mean...With...With He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named..."

Lily uses his real name. Well, the name that he's known by. The name that's feared. But she's not afraid, at least she doesn't come off as afraid. In fact, the only time Natsumi has seen her fearful is when the mere idea of them being separated comes up.

'No, Nat! I have to teach him a lesson, I have to let him know!'

Remus no longer bothers her, but she hears that he's been having some memory issues...

"If we can't, then I'll kill him myself."

She says it so offhandedly. Casually. As if speaking about getting a bite to eat. Not that Natsumi doesn't believe her, because she does. She's seen how angry Lily can get. How easily she lets her rage consume her when she believes something to be in the way of them... Really, Natsumi is lucky that Lily hasn't yet seen their families as obstacles, though she's never liked Mao.