To

One Week Earlier

The edge of graduation is on the horizon, and instead of studying or applying for internships, Lily has been doting on Natsumi every free hour of the day. Cuddling her close in empty dormrooms, braiding and brushing her hair in the Great Hall, and (most scandalousy!) snogging her breathless in dark corners of the library.

It's stupid addicting, kissing Lily. Like tempting a dragon or seeing how long she could hold her breath underwater. Not that Lily would hurt her like a dragon or water in her lungs, but she certainly comes off that way...

Even with her constant reassuances that she loves Natsumi. Would never leave her. Never hurt her. Always fight for her. Even with the evidence Natsumi has. She still wondered. Still trembled. If something would ever cause Lily to snap and betray that same love that she showers upon Natsumi everyday. Natsumi wouldn't be able to take it. For years she's been bathing in Lily's light, and to have it suddenly gone? What an ugly fate.

"Lily...when did you know?" Natsumi fiddled with her hands, her fingers, feeling like they'll break or fall off of her wrists, "When did you know that you...loved me?"

Lily's eyes grew distant. Fond. As if she stepped into a dream. Or a drug-induced hazed. A love potion haze. "I'd like to think I've always loved you, Nat." Her hands squeezed hers, "Even on the train. Even before we even met. Before we were born." Lily hummed, her eyes shutting, "Our souls knew each other long before all of this... We were lovers in a past life Nat, I know it. That's why my feelings are so true. So intense. All the past centuries and lifetimes of loving you are all collected in me. Compounded."

Something about Lily's speech endeared and frightened Natsumi. What else was new? Wanting to be loved so intensely while fearing for her safety.

"But...But I knew that it was love for sure when we kissed, Nat. For the first time. Do you remember? I had been so nervous leading up to it, wondering why I...Why I was thinking about you like that. Like how I used to think about John Lennon and Brian Wilson. I didn't know, then." Lily smiled. "Our kiss told me all I needed to know. All we were destined for. I should have kissed you sooner. We've lost so much time."

Lily leaned in to try and snog Natsumi senseless. While Natsumi usually enjoyed the sessions (not that she wanted to admit it), she retracted back. Wanting to keep Lily centered on the topic, "Lily, we're in public!"

"And?" Lily pressed her nose up against Natsumi; she could smell the cloves and cinnamon on her breath from the Sugar Quills she was eating earlier, "We're alone, everyone's out in study sessions or testing." Lily was still pressing for a public relationship, but much less now. Especially since Natsumi had agreed to holding hands in public and sitting next to each other everywhere.

"And anyone can just walk in!"

Lily laughed. Something beautiful and clear. "You're so paranoid, Nat, it's so cute!" She pinched Natsumi's cheek, "Let them come in. Let them see. I want them all to see that I'm yours. You're mine."

Now

"Lily...when did you know?" Natsumi fiddles with her hands, her fingers once again feeling like they're break and fall off. "When did you know that you...loved me?"

Lily blinks, her eyes distant. As if in a haze. "When did you want me to realize?"

Natsumi holds her breath, "When we had our first sleepover of course...That's when you first realized you loved me...as a friend."

Lily blinks again, recognition and realization flooding her eyes, "Yes, that's right. I remember!" A laugh, something hollow. "How could I forget?"