Chapter 24

Engagement Day

Kai is in his own room at his parents house being fussed over by his two elder sisters. They made sure his shirts were ironed perfectly, getting his suit and bow tie. Kai smile at the sight of his sisters in their beautiful dresses moving around his room hurriedly in order to make him most presentable today.

His eldest sister smile at him adoringly and gave him a hug after smoothing his dinner coat one last time, followed by a hug by his second sister Jung-ah

"To think you once teased Naeun regarding marriage. Look at you now, getting engaged to her." Jung-ah paused to look up at his face with a beatific smile. "Make her happy and you will too. Proud of you baby bro." Jung-ah continued before releasing Kai to walk out of his room with their eldest sister who was waiting at the door.

Kai stood in front of the full length mirror next to his closet. Thinking about the night. The engagement dinner party will take place at Naeun's parents home in approximately two hours. Kai and his parents will have to be there before the guests are set to arrive.

Their driver will be driving Kai and his parents, while his sisters will be attending with their husband's cars respectively. His niece and nephews will be left at home with babysitters.

"Jongin, let's go." Mrs Kim voice can be heard from outside of his room, taking Kai back to reality.

He walked out of his room and offers his arm for his mother. Mrs Kim took the offered arm and walked side by side with Kai down the stairs with a proud smile plastered on her face.

The ride to the Son's family house was uneventful. The Kim's family arrived right on time and were welcomed by Mr and Mrs Son as well as Son Saeun at the front entrance.

Big canopies were set up on the garden with lightings, table and chairs beautifully decorated for the engagement party. A handful of serving staff members walking around making sure the seats and table settings are perfect.

A big canopy on one side contains large tables bearing foods of various types. Few more workers were busy following the head caterer's orders, setting the food accordingly buffet style.

A live band were playing mellow music at a corner, with the gazebo made as a makeshift stage. The singer, a gorgeous woman singing softly to the tunes the band was playing. Warming up her voice before the arrival of guests.

Both the Kim's and Son's families gather inside the living room listening to the event planner last minute briefing of what will take place that night.

"So, we will have the guests to mingle around first. Both families will take turns for a speech to welcome the guests. In which everyone will proceed to have their dinner after. Around 10 p.m, both families will gather in front of the gazebo with Mr Kai and Miss Naeun. Then we will commence with the exchanging of engagement rings by the couple and then the party can continue until 11 p.m as in the itinerary."
Explains Kim Minseok the event planner Mrs Son entrusted with the planning of the engagement dinner party.

He planned everything from the bands, foods and settings with approvals from Mrs Son and Mrs Kim of course.

Both families appeared satisfied and nodded their understanding.

"Where is Miss Naeun and Mr Kai?" Kim Minseok asked when he noticed the couple were not amongst the faces around him.

"They're in Eonnie's room. It's okay, I will inform them of what they have to do." Son Saeun smiled and excused herself to go and get Kai and Naeun as the guests will start to arrive anytime soon.

Naeun's room

"Kim Jongin, don't you dare lie down. You will have creases on your coat!" Naeun's voice reverberated around the room.

She went to use the toilet and left Kai who came in to look for her sitting on the edge of her bed. She was surprised to see Kai sliding his hands and preparing to lie down on the bed.

"Nangni, I won't. I was just messing with you." A laugh escapes from Kai's lips after the statement.

Naeun glare at him and reached for her cellphone that was ringing. Her brows furrowed seeing Marcella's manager's name on the screen.

Kai kept quiet, he stood up and smoothed his coat and pants. Trying to appear uninterested.

"Hello Mr Choi." Naeun paused and listened to the words Mr Choi spoke with a serious expression on her face.

"What do you mean? Mr Choi are you all alright? Are  there any staff members or patrons injured?" Naeun asked, keeping her tone calm despite her worried face.

"I'll be coming over now. Please take care."

Naeun ended the call and watched Kai standing close and staring down at her with puzzled face. She had forgotten about her engagement. So worried about Marcella's.

"Jonginie, I need to go to Marcella's. Something occurred and I have to be there." Naeun said before biting her lips worriedly.

"Baby, our engagement party is about to start soon. Let your manager handle the situations there. Beside what is so pressing that they need you on hand?"

"A group of thugs crashed into Marcella's. They caused disturbances and riots. I need to assess how bad is the situation and come back here for our engagement. Please?" Naeun explained, her eyes asking for his understanding.

Kai let out a sigh and gradually nodded his concent.

"You can go but I'm coming with you. I am not letting you go off by yourself."

They walked out of Naeun's room together and met Son Saeun on the hallway.

"Everyone is waiting for you both. The guests will start arriving soon. Mom and dad need you both to come outside." Son Saeun said brightly with a smile on her face.

Kai and Naeun didn't speak to Saeun, and only give the younger woman a smile.

Naeun got closer to her mother and explained the situation at the club and the fact she have to leave the house to settle it. Mrs Son argued but Kai intercepted and assured Mrs Son and his family that they will be back before the main event.