Chapter 9

Katie's POV

"You were amazing." One monster said to me, pulling away from the hug.

"Thank you." I smiled.

"Hey, Katie, can I have your autograph?" Another asked.

"Of course," I replied. I took the cell phone from her, and autographed the purple phone case. "There you go." I said, handing the cell phone back to her.

"Thanks!" She cheered as she ran off, happily.

"Hey, Wazowski!" Sully called out. I followed him over to the Simulator where Mike was standing. "Come on, let's go, you maniac. We're celebrating." He added.

"Mike?" I questioned when he didn't answer.

"I can't believe it. I did it. I'm gonna be a scarer!" Mike said happily.

Sulley chuckled. "Yeah, yes, you are." Sulley laughed as I smiled.

"You hear that? Get plenty of rest, kiddo. You haven't seen the last of Mike Wazowski. Boo!" Mike said. The child screamed and filled the pointed all the way.

That's weird.

"I knew I was scary. I didn't know I was that scary." Mike chuckled.

"Yeah. I guess we're so scary, we broke it. Come on." Sulley said.

I grew concerned, and walked over beside Mike. I raised my hands up near the child, and clapped once. The kid screamed, which made me, and Mike flinch. It filled up the board all the way.

I got down on my knees, and looked at the settings.

"It's been tampered with." I mumbled, loud enough for the 2 other monsters to hear me.

"Uh, Katie, I don't think you should be messing with that." Sulley spoke up. I saw the settings were set to "Easy," while the others were set to "Hard."

"Why are my settings different?" Mike questioned.

"Mike, we should leave." Sulley urged.

Sulley seemed suspicious since this morning.

"Did you do this?" Mike asked.

"Mike..." Sulley started.

"Did you do this?" I repeated, more firmly.

"I-" Sulley started but then gave in and signed. "Yes. I did. But you guys don't understand." He confessed.

I was in disbelief.

"Why? Why would you do this?" Mike asked.

"You know... Just in case." Sulley admitted.

"In case of what?" Mike asked.

Sulley didn't answer, giving me the answer I needed.

"Wow." I whispered in disbelief.

"You don't think I'm scary." Mike said, answering the question for Sulley.

"Guys..." Sulley started.

"You said you believed in me," Mike said. "But you're just like Hardscrabble. You're just like everyone else!" He snapped.

"Look, you'll get better, and better." Sulley continued.

"I'm as scary as you! I'm as scary as Katie! I'm as scary as anyone!" Mike snapped.

"I just wanted to help." Sulley replied.

"No, you just wanted to help yourself." Mike said.

"Well, what was I supposed to do? Let the whole team fail because you don't have it? Even Katie knew you didn't have what it takes." Sulley admitted.