The One with The Shnazzy Gold Envelope

Chapter 1

The One with the Shnazzy Gold Envelope

"Yes, mom," I groaned, heading to the Post Office a few blocks off of my school's campus. It was a big school but it was a small dorm I had and I shared it with someone I didn't like very much, but what can I say? Stuff happens. "I'm going downstairs right now to see if I got your letters."

"You better be," She lectured from the other side of the phone. She was sending me postcards from Paris today, even though my mom and step-father are in Provence to live, they visit all over. Last week, it was Paris. "I even got you a souvenir... Well... Actually Laurence did, but..."

"Whatever, mom." I grabbed the key that hung from my neck on a lanyard, opening my metal mailbox and letters flying everywhere.

Awesome. It really sucked to get a ton of mail, when you're really anticipating a certain letter from a certain someone...

"Ugh! Really!"

"Wild guess... Fan mail?"

"How'd you ever know?"

"No idea." Fan mail littered the floor everywhere, flying in the air in a mail room catastrophe. "Well I'll let you go, honey bunny, have a good day."

"I will. Love you."

"Love you, bye." Trying to evaluate the situation I was in, I slowly began to pick up the letters, knowing most people would be sleeping at eight here... It was a college dorm room. Most people here still slept until noon.

"Hey, let me help you!" Someone insisted, rushing over to me and helping me pick the letters up.

"I don't care," I replied in all honesty... Truthfully, I didn't at all. The stupid fan mail could stay here all day if it oh-so desired to. Let other people deal with the annoyance.

"No, really... Wait, why do you have so much mail?" I shrugged, shoving her my Vera Bradley Vera bag in Baroque. "Cute bag."

"Thanks." I saw the person was a girl obviously around my age, probably older, and was extraordinarily pretty, with wavy brown tresses and innocent features.

"Hey, I'm Eleanor Calder."

"Kaessandra, or Kaessie." I shook her hand while she shoved all the garbage in my bag. Her hand came across a golden envelope with bright purple cursive text. The sheer sight of the letter caught me off guard and captivated me.

"What's this for?" I shrugged, looking at the text.

My heart sank...

Kaesandra R. Chapman

Kaessandra with one S.

Anger flared up at me... Of course. Kaesandra always gets the good mail, and I get the bills.

"You're name is Kaesandra Chapman... Like the celebrity?" Whenever people asked me that, I lost about half of the respect I ever had for them and it made me want to strangle a small animal.

"Yeah... Like the celebrity." I picked up the envelope... Man. This thing sure was snazzy...

"You get more mail in a day than my boyfriend does," She teased, and I wondered if that was supposed to be funny or not, so I just gave a small half smile and shrugged. I noticed her, unlike half the Preps at this school, was dressed like me, in sweats and an over-sized shirt. Except her outfit was Hollister Yoga Pants with an over-sized University of Manchester shirt, and mine were Victoria's Secret Pink boyfriend shorts in heather gray with pink writing, and a purposely-over-sized heather gray off-the-shoulder shirt. Most girls around here, opposed to me, also wore skirts almost every day, which I found stupid because it was ending September as we speak, and the air was indescribably bitter and most unforgiving to revealed skin.