chapter 4

And now I tell you openly
You have my heart so don't hurt me
You're what I couldn't find
A totally amazing mind
So understanding and so kind
You're everything to me

November saw a change in the weather for the worse sadly, but for Louis and Harry things were only getting better. Louis came to see Harry most days when he worked in the bakery, and was more frequently picking him to and from lectures too, and Harry was quite enjoying the attention. He quite often garnered stares when he got in and out of Louis’ car on campus, and although he constantly told people who asked that Louis was just his ‘good friend’, he knew their friendship had gone beyond that.

They’d been kissing a lot more too, the pair often making out in Louis’ car when he drove them around, particularly when they said goodnight outside Harry’s dorm building. Harry found himself often craving more from Louis, hands starting to roam over Louis’ chest as they kissed but Louis kept pulling back, letting it go no further than that, despite the fact he was clearly wanting more from Harry, too. Harry felt slightly frustrated, and was wanking to thoughts of Louis more often than was probably healthy but he couldn’t help it. Louis was gorgeous, he kissed like a dream, and those kisses did things to him.

Just over a week and a half after their last date, Harry was snowed under with coursework. He had an exam in a week or so and a horrible paper due at the end of the week. He’d had no time to spend with Louis and had had to cancel a dinner date tonight to attend a study group at the library. He felt bad for doing it but Louis told him it was fine, that school work had to come first and wished him luck. Harry had stumbled from the bakery to the library, heavy rucksack hanging from his shoulder, surely the cause of the bad back Harry had had lately. He’d met the group of eight or nine other students, sitting down and discussing ideas with them. The peace and quiet of the library afforded them time to work and get on with things far better than their less-than-peaceful dorm rooms.

“Harry, have you got anything for the third question?” Aimee, one of the group asked across. Harry flicked through his bundle of papers, pulling one out and slid it across, Aimee smiling at him in gratitude.

“Hope you can understand my scrawl,” he chuckled, still flicking through another book, trying to find something he could quote for this essay. The sound of the library door caught his attention then, but he carried on working, wanting to get it done and get home so he could call Louis. He’d missed seeing him today and enjoyed their late night chats. Harry had fallen asleep on the phone a few times which made him feel embarrassed but Louis had told him he liked it, that he whispered goodnight each time before he hung up.

Harry noticed everyone starting to look up, and he felt the presence of a person behind him. He dropped his pen on the wooden table, turning around and smiling as he saw the man stood there.

“Lou, what are you doing here?” He stood up quickly, hugging him tightly, bodies pressed together. He noticed the stares of everyone around the table, and knew he was going to be asked questions he wasn’t sure how to answer. He looked back at Louis then, smiling as Louis handed over a steaming hot cup of tea, and something in a paper bag.

“Sustenance, my love,” Louis spoke softly, pressing a quick kiss to Harry’s cheek. “Got a chocolate muffin, thought the sugar hit would get you through til you’re done here.” Harry put the cup and bag on the table, and hugged him again, resting his head on Louis’ shoulder, despite the fact he had to stoop to do so.

“Erm, Haz, who’s this?” Billy, another one of the group said, clearly nominating himself as group spokesperson. Harry bit his lip before he answered.

“This is Louis, he’s my, um-”

“I’m his boyfriend, nice to meet you all,” Louis cut in, taking Harry’s hand in his, lacing their fingers together and squeezing gently, transferring some comfort to Harry. Harry’s heart was racing now at the term Louis had used. He’d felt like Louis was his boyfriend for a while now, since they’d gone out to dinner and he’d sucked him off, but he hadn’t felt brave enough to have that conversation. Luckily though, Louis seemed happy to step in and take the lead, something Harry felt grateful for.