Chapter 1: Judah

Thunder roared across the night sky, and warm air flowed throughout the castle. This used to be one of Queen Elora's favorite kind of nights. She remembered how her father used to take her to the pond at the compound's edge and tell her stories. Her father always had a flair for dramatics. She had loved how the lightning bugs reflected off the water. Elora was always so excited when these trips came. It was her happiest childhood memory.

But tonight was different.

"Your Majesty."

The Queen was startled upon hearing the voice. She turned quickly to see her handmaid Amelia who stood in the doorway with a frightened expression. Her clothes were tattered, and her breath grew heavier with each second she stood there.

"He's here, isn't he?" asked Elora with a pit that grew larger in her stomach with each passing moment.

"Yes," said the handmaid. She feverishly ushered the Queen to follow her. "Come! We must get you to safety."

"No," said the Queen definitively. "Take me to The Five."

Elora watched as her handmaid opened up her mouth to argue. Amelia had never done this before, but these were desperate times. Elora knew this would likely be her last night alive. She also knew that if she didn't help save The Five, they would never have any chance of saving her kingdom.

"It was not a request, Amelia."

The handmaid nodded, and the two women rushed down the long castle hallways. The bricks, made of luxurious marble, shined in the light of the moon. In the hallway window, the Queen saw the village that surrounded the castle with flames brushing all around. The screams of her people echoed in the night sky while tears rolled down her face. She wanted to do something. She wanted to help them anyway she knew how.

As she ran down the hall she felt regret, but the moment she could have helped them had long past.  Now all she could do before she died was save The Five.

When she got to the last door in the hallway, she grabbed hold of the knob and slammed it open. The Five children sat in a circle in the pit that sat in the center of the room. The large dip was lined with red velvet couch cushions, and a game table sat in the middle of it. Upon seeing the Queen, they got up to bow. Their tear streamed faces sent chills down the Queen's spine as she realized just how badly she's failed her people.

"There's no time for that," said the Queen as Amelia closed the door behind them.

A glowing white light radiated out off Elora's hand, and the children watched in amazement as a blue forcefield fell over the giant oak doors. The sounds of the screams were muffled as the blue twinkling light gave a sense of security to the small room.

The Queen turned back and ran to the children. Their playroom used to be a place of joy. Bookshelves lined the walls with all different kinds of stories and tales from the Glorian people. The red circular couch in the middle of their pitted room was home to countless game nights and celebrations. Various toys scattered across the room; she never could get them to remember to clean up.

She held her hand out, and a book from across the room shot off of a bookshelf and towards the group. She motioned with her hands to flip to a page, and once she found it, she looked at the children. "I have failed you all," she said. Tears welled up in her eyes as she watched the very children she swore to protect, that were one day supposed to protect the citizens of Gloriana, scared out of their minds. "Brennan, Megara, Rosemary, Titus, and Aiken," said the Queen. "You are the last hope for the people of Gloriana."

The children looked at their queen in fear. Never had they dreamed this day would come so soon. One moment they were in training for the future fights they'd have with the dominions, and the next the "one day" became the present.