Going Out

The next day Chrollo asked Amaia out for a walk. He decided it would be a good idea to bond with her and try to understand her motives. He knew: this mission was depending on him liking her. And since the troupe decided to rob the auction on the second day, they had a few days left to get to know each other. He was looking forward to it to, but, as always, Amaia didn't catch up on that at first. Will she ever be able to read him?

"You're late," Chrollo said, his eyes closed as he leaned against the window of an arcade where they decided to meet. Here, he wore some casual clothes, had his hair lose and a bandana covered his forehead. The blinking lights of the games indoors caused his eyes to flash like police sirens as he opened them, reflecting flashing blues and reds. Danger, his eyes said, but Amaia was just drawn to him like a moth to the flame, unafraid of the fire. There was a soft side to him, she had seen it.

To tell the truth, he looked good. Amaia liked this style much more than the extravagant ways he dresses on a regular basis. Like this – or in formal wear – he looked much younger. Amaia could almost forget about the fact, that he was a serial killer.

"I'm new around here and I tried to find my way here without using my power." she began to explain, but he turned to open the arcade door. Walking inside she smiled. This was the most unexpected place to go. Maybe that's why he suggested it? To distract her or himself from all the memories in their heads? It was much to take for Amaia, so how hard was it for Chrollo to analyze everything he had seen and just try to ignore it?

Shaking her head, she stuck a coin into the machine before them, and the car revved up.

"READY PLAYER 2!" the machine shouted as Chrollo followed suit.

"Prepare to lose," he said, throwing a challenging expression at her. Amaia grinned.

"Don't be so confident, Chrollo." she laughed. It was the first time around Chrollo, that she forgot about everything. Right now, Amaia didn't fell like she was on a mission or trying to develop feelings for a man who was paying her to do so. Right now, she felt happiness. Memories of her childhood arose.

Amaia was never a good fighter. She passed her Hunter Exam as the worst candidate and it took her three tries. That's why she send most of her days as a kid playing games at home. Let's be honest, her ability wasn't designed for fighting. It was her goal to look as ordinary as possible, so enemies would ignore her or underestimate her.

"GO!"

Amaia maneuvered through the course, picking up dropped items as she went and used them to her advantage. It felt good to have some fun. Laughing all the time she hit the finish line. First lap out of 3. She tightened her grip on the wheel and grinned as she realized how far behind Chrollo was. The all so powerful Chrollo Lucifer was losing to her in a Kart Game.

"Keep up, Chrollo" she smirked in his direction. He kept his focus on his own screen, trying desperately to catch up with her, but he had to admit he liked seeing her be so competitive. It was different. All the time, she was waiting for him to tell her what to do. And now, she was taking the reigns. After all, it was a good idea to take her out to the arcade of Yorknew City.

"As if I'd let myself get beat by a little girl," he laughed, genually, even more determined than ever to catch up. "I don't lose." A crowd started forming around the two of them. Parents with children and teenagers looking for something interesting to watch gathered around them. Then some of the teens slowly started to chant and cheer around the two of them, egging the competition on.

"Show him that woman can play video games as well!" the girls were shouting while the boys were cheering for Chrollo. It was a really fun experience. Now Amaia was even more fired up than ever now that they had an audience, and she knew they were about to watch the proud Chrollo get beat for once and for all. That was the only chance for her to be better at somethings. And it made her feels indestructible.

Three out of three laps. Final stretch. Amaia gasped in shock as she saw Chrollo's car pull up in front of her.

"Don't even try, mister." Amaia narrowed her eyes, hitting the horn on the steering wheel to release the item which propelled her in front of Chrollo. For a brief amount of time, she turned her head to look at him and saw an expression of enjoyment, which would have shocked her if she didn't have seen this side of him before.

PLAYER 1 WINS!

Amaia jumped up with joy. "I did it!"

The crowd cheered and applauded for her, congratulating on the win. She turned to her opponent, ready to gloat in his face and rub it in as much as humanly possible. Amaia just beat Chrollo Lucifer, after all. The man whole countries are afraid of. A man, she would never be able to beat or even get near him under different conditions. And she was enjoying it. His presence, the way he talked to her. Simply put, in her eyes, Chrollo was a nice guy.

"What do you have to say to that?" she put her hands on her hips and bent down to get right up in his face as she grinned with glee. He turned to her and tried to analyze the situation, yet after a few seconds he smiled at her.

"Hn," he huffed. He was displeased that he had to lose in front of all these people, too proud to admit defeat. He got up from his car as the crowd dispersed and said nothing more as he took her by the hand.

Why is she making me feel so free? – he asked himself – It's like my head stops working around her.

"What, you're trying to win at something else, huh? Can't stand the fact that I won?" Amaia relished in your victory like a little kid. Then she realized that Chrollo had backed her into a corner between the back wall and a vacant machine. There was nobody around, not this far back into the arcade. He had one hand propping himself up on the wall behind her. Suddenly she fell silent.

"I said, I don't lose," Chrollo smirked down at her. His gray eyes looked more darker now. A more animalistic feature appeared in his gaze. Was it to much teasing? Was Chrollo now angry at her? Or was he just showing her, that he was still the leader of the phantom troupe and deserved her respect?

Slowly he lifted his cold hand to her cheek before kissing her hard and rough. His lips were warm and firm as he kissed her. Amaia gasped as he bit her lip. Then, he let go of her, laughing. He felt how uncomfortable Amaia was with the situation and stated the following: "I was just trying to scare you, that's all."

"Chrollo..." she breathed in anxiously. Of course, Chrollo wasn't allowed to hurt her and she knew that. Also, he wanted her ability to work.

Chrollo realized what he did wrong. "I'm sorry. I didn't intent to scare you off. I imagine, my pranks aren't the best. Please excuse me. As you know, I'm not the most social one."

Now, Chrollo was rubbing the back of his head, feeling unsecure. Never has he ever felt so vulnerable around others. The spiders knew very well, if something happened to him, they should ditch him. He lived everyday knowing it could be his last one. But with her, it was different. Chrollo was really trying to leave behind a good impression.

"It's okay." Amaia stated with bright red cheeks. She kept her center of gravity closer to the ground, making sure to have a firm hold on herself. Slowly, Amaia reached for his hand, her grip softening as a certain tenderness seeped into her tone of voice. "I'll be honest. I'm afraid. This is a whole different world for me. I have seen you get captured and lose friends and it pained me. I'm afraid, that after everything is over you will just ditch me or that you can never see me as an equal. That my ability stops working."

His eyes widened at first, but then his expression softened. He didn't know if it was her power working on him or his own feelings, but he felt close to her. Closer than he had ever been to someone. And that only in a matter of days.

Chrollo's response was to kiss her again, his free hand finding its way to her waist. This time, it was tender. He was simply doing what felt right. Maybe it wasn't his own judgment or maybe it was. It didn't really matter. All he knew was, he wanted to see her happy at this moment.

And he wanted to feel loved again.