Chapter 4

Natasha's POV

I woke up with a really bad hangover headache. I shouldn't have played that drinking game with Sarah. Last thing I remember was Sam helping me up, and getting me into his car.

I recognized the room I was in. I was at Sam's house, and I was in his bedroom. When I turned around, I saw him sleeping.

He looked like an angel, and so innocent. I wouldn't mind waking up to him everyday for the rest of my life.

I looked at the alarm clock, and saw it was two in the afternoon. I had work in an hour, if I didn't leave now I would be so late.

I ran out of the room, and went to my house. I opened the door with the spare key under the mat, and changed into my scrubs.

I was a nurse at a nearby hospital, I was only able to go to school for two years because that was all I could afford. I became a nurse by getting my Associates Degree.

I brushed my teeth, and grabbed my car keys. I couldn't find my phone, so I just decided that I would look for it later.

I get to the hospital in thirty minutes, and start my shift. My post was in the ICU, so it was quiet, and the only noise was the beeping machines.

“Whoa, you look like shit.” It was my friend Juliet. She was two years older than I was, but she liked to act like she was still in high school.

“Shut up.” I kept checking charts.

“I heard Sam is back, he still single?” I gave her a dirty look.

“Yes, he is.” I handed her the chart. “Does that look off to you?”

“Why don't you ask him to dinner, or something?” She was reading the chart.

“I don't think he sees me as anything but his best friend.”

“That's because you're not changing the game.”

“What do you mean?”

“You're playing the best friend game, and you need to be playing the I want to be your girlfriend game.” I laugh softly.

“You're so weird.”

“But it's true.” She gives me back the chart. “That's normal with patients who just had surgery.”

“What's normal?” It was Dr. Barnett, head of Cardio surgery.

I explained to him what I thought it was I saw.

“Yeah, that's normal, I see it 99% of the time.”

“Thank you.” I put the chart back, and began looking at the other ones.

“Natasha.” Dr. Barnett called me, and I looked up at him.

“Yes, Dr?”

“Would you like to go to dinner with me?” From the corner of my eye, I could see Juliet's jaw drop.

Dr. Barnett is one of the youngest doctors here, he is thirty four. He's good looking as well, but not my type.

“I-I make it a rule not to date my boss.” Yeah, I just made that rule right now.

“Understandable, but tell me if you change your mind.” I nod, and he leaves.

“Holy cow.” Juliet says. “Talk about awkward.” I shake my head at her, and continue working.

I get home at four in the morning, got out of work at three, and I see that the lights are still on at Sam's house. I decided that if his lights are still on after I shower, then I'll go over.

I blow dry my hair, I hated sleeping with wet hair, and when I look out my window, I see his lights are still on, so I change into something comfortable and walk on over there.

The strumming of the guitar alerted me that he was still awake, and I knocked on his window. He saw me, and opened the window.

“What are you doing here?” He asked. “It's late.”

“The question is, what are you doing up? I just got in from work.” He helps me climb into his room.

“You work this late?”

“Girl's got to make her living.” I shrug. “I heard you strumming, new song?” He nods. “Can I hear it?”

“It's not quite finished...” Sam was always so shy about his song writing, but he had a real talent.

“Come on, Sammy. Won't you sing it to your best friend?” He smiled.

“Fine. But you can't laugh.”

“I promise I won't laugh.” He began strumming, and I just stared at him.

He was so talented.

“I've spent 12 months, fighting this illusion of me,

“Stuck in the shadows of the person I'm supposed to be,

“And lines got blurred somewhere in between,

“My father's son and their twisted fantasy.” He paused. “And I felt empty, whats left of me?

“There's a soul, there's a pulse, there's a warrior

“There's a hole where my heart used to be,

“Now I'm filling it up with all the things I always said I'd be, I always said I'd be.” He looked up at me. “And that's all I got.”

“That's really beautiful.” I tell him, and he puts his guitar down.

“You think so?” I nod.

“When it comes out, I will probably be listening to it every day.” He smiled.

“You're the best.” I hug him, and when I pull away, I look into his eyes.

I couldn't help what I did next. I kissed Sam softly on the lips.