Chapter Twenty-Eight - Last Stand

The world shatters.

The streets are painted in red.

Human bodies are left to decompose.

Kids, elderly, handicapped, families—no matter who, they aren't upon them anymore. Even his own are amongst the dead, died by their hands to show no mercy for those who dare.

The drones are flying around, spectating everything, projecting the happening around the world. People leave their houses to protest and do what he told them to. Some barricaded themselves inside, people furiously crack their home open to see if they hide the rebellions. They don't want anyone to stay alive who works against his order.

"We can't win if we don't expect to lose some," Alphonse mutters to himself.

Nalani hurries to his office. "What is going on, Alphonse. What is happening?" she gasps and extends her arms.

"The world is under control," he smirks and turns around.

"It's not. What are you talking about? People are killing each other—our people. You can't expect us to do the same," her tone lifts.

"I never said you have. However, what I did say was that you can't resign. You are fighting for your people, be honored that you do."

Nalani can't swallow his words down. He's right. She has to fight and can't go back now. Why did he choose him? Because she was the best in the military, scoring the maximum amount in the simulator. She never wanted to fight, but he shows no mercy.

Machines do not possess a soul. Taking those away would mean nothing to her.

Teresa is at home. She called in sick, hoping she doesn't need to take part in any actions right now. Her family covered the windows with wood. Their bodies shake. They stay inside and witness the screams and shots from the outside world make them remain in fear. Teresa's heart feels heavy, her stomach twists as she swallows. Her grandma, sitting in the wheelchair, takes her hand and holds it tight. "It's gonna be okay," she responds to the sobbing Teresa. "We will be safe here," and smiles at her with closed eyes.

Gunshots fall from everywhere around.

Rory looks into the camera with his face covered in red. "Rebellions!" he spreads out his arms and breaths heavily, "If you really want this to end," he points his dripping knife to the lens that zooms in. "Fight us. Let's settle this once and for all!"

One man with no property walks up close to him and holds a gun against his head. Rory makes a turn and stabs him in his back, falling down to the rest, menacingly looking with a smirk back to the camera, "this is what your people get if you don't end this," and walks off.

"Michael? What is going on? Can you please open?" Henry knocks on his door as he opens, his empty eyes follow him inside.

"What's happening with you? Did we just switch roles or something?"

"No, Henry. You don't understand," he shakes his head.

"Yeah, I don't because you don't tell me. You don't tell anyone. We need to fight. They need us right now. You can't back out of it," he creases his forehead.

"I am not planning to," he huffs. "It's a personal problem, nothing you need to worry about," he shakes his head with a slight drag on his lip.

"Sometimes I wish you would just tell me what's going on so I can understand and help you, just like you help me," he pauses and swallows. "You are the only family that I have left, yet I don't even know who you really are. It doesn't feel right," he says softly.

"Let the past be past. There is no need to go back," he says.

"But then I don't know who you really are."