Chapter Fifteen - Simulation

Today, Michael will finally experience being a pilot through the simulator with the 'real' fluctuation system. Last time, his pulse did rise, but he felt nothing. Today he will.

"Alright, let's start," says Logan and activates the button.

Michael is inside the abandoned city again.

He looks around, but nothing seems to be there, except for his massive claw weapons that are now equipped. Astonishingly, he gazes at them—the blue plasma runs through the black-shaded four clawed fingers attached to the mechanical arm.

"Wow," his eyes open widely. "Is this my weapon?"

"Yes. It's a melee weapon. In my opinion, the melee weapon is one of the hardest to use as you have to get close to the enemy, making yourself an easy target for others," he dips his head to the side. "But we will see."

From above, Michael can hear a noise that seems to come closer and closer. He gets in position, ready to fight. He tries to attack with his right claw first, but the target is too fast, and he misses his move. His pulse seems to rise from second to second. Eighty-one—Ninety-one—hundred and thirty.

The neurons start to inject themselves through the needles inside the fluctuate in the suit. Michael can withstand the pain, only slightly resisting against it but still able to move. His pulse starts to fall back to eighty-six.

This maneuver costs time and immunity. If he were alone in this fight in real life, he most likely would've taken damage.

"How am I supposed to hit these things if they move so fast?" he looks around the environment. His palms start to sweat.

"Relax and watch the movement. Maybe you will notice something in the enemy's pattern. Try to go from there," Logan soothes.

Michael looks back and forth.

He can't seem to find anything that would lead him to victory.

"How do I read the pattern?" he looks around to find anything on the radar or his BPM meter.

"Look," says Logan. He makes his way to lean on the chair, his head next to Michaels, watching the simulator projection upfront. "If you watch the machine, you can see that he constantly moves left—right—right—left—left—right—right. Watch him closely, and you will see that he repeats them. Most enemies tend to do that, some by accident and some not at all. You have to adapt."

"So, I just have to watch and dodge to see how he moves?"

"Somewhat, because not every enemy moves with patterns, some just go straight to the point, easier to take them down, though. But we are not here to teach you only half of what might come. Concentrate, read and attack," explains Logan.

He moves away from the chair, standing with a slight distance between them, continuing to watch the screen.

Michael tries to convert his words into action. He takes a closer look at the enemy, concentrated. The enemy moves precisely in the pattern that Logan told him about.

Concentrate, watch and attack—

He accelerates his machine, holding the claw up ahead to ensure the penetration on collision. The enemy moves left–left-right—that's it. He will go to the right again, his chance to attack. Michaels pulse is still at eighty-six, slightly moving up to the ninety ranges.

With his claw, he penetrates the enemy with no effort whatsoever—his weapon is deadly. It's the only one that's able to have the plasma run through continually.

Michael grins as the screen show's the victory note.

"Okay, good. Now, let's see what you can do in a different environment with a hostile situation."