Chapter 1- The World is Cruel

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.”

― Dr. Seuss

Evelyn's P.O.V

I walked down the narrow hall, fear pulsed through my veins, and my head pounded. As I reached the door I heard her call softly, “it is open Evelyn.”

I nodded to nothing and slowly pushed open the worn out wooden door. As it squeaked open I walked through the doorway and towards my mother’s desk. Her eyes narrowed as I approached, but she said nothing, she only indicated that I should take a seat.

We sat in silence for what seemed like hours until she finally spoke, “We need to talk about your schooling.” I nodded, dreading what she would say. She must have noticed my fear, because a cruel smile danced on her lips as she continued, “I will no longer pay for you to be home schooled, and you are much too careless, so I am sending you to my sisters private school, Johnson Private. You will attend and there will be no argument.” She met my eyes with no emotion, “Do I make myself clear.”

I looked her in the eyes, masking my fear, “Crystal.”

“Good, I called her husband, William, he will be here in an hour to pick you up, and today you will only have a half day so tomorrow is officially your first day. Everything is all set up, here is your schedule,” She handed me a piece of paper, a handbook, and a student id card, “Everything you need is set up, I picked your electives. One is art and the other is music, and since you are ahead of everyone you are in all honors and A.P classes.” She paused, “That is all, go get ready and be out front.”

I walked out leaving her alone, part of me terrified to go to school, and part of me was excited, but I knew it meant that I would have less time to spend outside with my true family, Nature. I sighed walking to my room, the old door creaked when I pushed it open and the smell of dust hit my nose. I didn’t care about the smell right now though; all I wanted was to get dressed.

*

An hour later I was sitting in William’s car playing with the hem of my blouse. I hadn’t realized the school had an uniform, so when William came over and handed me a clothing bag I was utterly confused, When I figured it out I was so mad that I couldn’t hide my body like I wanted.  The skirt barley reached my knees because it was the wrong size and the blouse was a little tight, the only good thing about it was the black leather jacket William brought me.

“We are here Evelyn.” His voice pulled me from my silent thoughts.

I nodded towards him in response, but as soon as my eyes hit the building I froze. It was huge, I felt small looking up at it, but I took a deep breath, grabbed my bag and walked inside as William drove away leaving me alone.

As I walked to the front office I saw a girl arguing with a guy who I guessed was her boyfriend, and when I walked by the two he looked towards me and smiled. I ignored it, not knowing how to respond, and checked in with the lady at the front office. She pointed me to where I had to go and just when I was turning to go, the boy came up to me, with a very mad girl in tow.

“Hey!” He shouted as he reached me, a wide smile spreading across his face.  “I’m Victor and this is,” he pushed the girl in front of him, “Mary.”

I didn’t want to respond but I had no clue where I was going, “Evelyn,” I told him. He smiled even wider and extended his hand. I just stared at it. Then turned on my heel and began to walk away. I could hear him blaming her and her telling him to stay away from me, but honestly I didn’t care. I wasn’t a people person, I preferred butterflies to people and trees to buildings, but according to my mother, I had to suck it up.

As I walked to my class I thought about the boy. He was cute, with light blond hair, brown eyes, lightly tanned skin and a smile to die for. But my people skills lacked, and he was way out of my league because of that.   I didn’t care, I didn’t want the bother of a boyfriend; my mother wouldn’t let me have on anyway.

Keeping that thought in mind I found my class and pushed open the heavy wooden door. As soon as I walked in all eyes were on me. Trying to ignore it I walked to the teacher, “Ahha!” She shouted, “You must be Evelyn, the very first junior to enter my honors speech class for seniors.” She smiled at me and then I saw a hint of mischief in her eyes.  She turned to the other students, “Class, we are going to get to know Evelyn better, so she will stand up here in the front,” she moved me to the middle of the front of the room, “And we are all going to ask her a question. School appropriate please.”

With that she went to the back of the class, “Luke you are first then we will go down the rows, don’t forget to tell Evelyn your name before you ask a question.” She smiled at me and nodded, “ok begin.”

I looked at the front row of student and an average looking boy with brown hair looked up at me and smiled, “Hi Evelyn, I’m Luke.”He paused, thinking of something to ask me, I felt my nerves growing. “What school did you go to before this one?”

I almost laughed in response as relief coursed through me, “None, I had a private tutor and was home schooled.” He nodded but other than that remained silent.

After that the questions kept coming, most of them were stupid and simple, like why was I in a senior class, how old was I, and others like that. Until the last person; he was a boy with big hazel eyes, black hair, and a smile to die for. He met my eyes before speaking, “What are your parent’s jobs?”

I froze, the smile left my face completely, “My mother is a corporate business owner, and my father is,” I paused tears where filling my eyes, “He’s dead.” The tears poured down my face, streaking my cheeks. My instincts took over and I fled the room, my only thought was the world is cruel.

Authors note: Yay! Totally proud of this chapter, and if anyones worried I will get to the butterflies. Please comment and vote if you like ;)

Lots of love