Chapter 3- Singing to the Trees

“The earth has music for those who listen.”

George Santayana

Evelyn’s P.O.V

As the class rushed to organize themselves, Mrs. Strambi walked over to me, “Evelyn, the concert is in three days and we already have our pieces set up. I need you to either perform alone as a soloist, or I can excuse you from the concert.”

I looked at her thinking, I didn’t have stage fright, and I actually loved performing because I can lose myself to the music, but the thing is I prefer singing to the trees as I watched the butterflies not in front of hundreds of people. With this on my mind I realized I still haven’t replied to her and quickly thought of something, “Can I give it a little more thought?”

She smiled at me and nodded, “Of course, for now though how bout you put a piece together just in case.”

I just nodded and walked into the practice room, I let the door creak closed behind me and walked towards the sleek black piano. I ran my hand over its surface as I sat down on the cold bench; my hands soon had a mind of their own and my fingers began to dance over the porcelain keys. Music filled the space around me and I let everything fade away. The noise, the emotions and the pain just fell away until it was just the music holding me to earth.

I let the note fade in and out, and when I reached the middle of the song I held my breath taking in the beauty of it. It was all I could do to let the song continue, letting its beauty fade, and as I finished the song I let it fade into another letting the music once again fill my ears.

As I was playing the second song, I heard the school bell. So I quietly grabbed my things and walked from the class without looking behind me, even though I heard someone calling my name in the rush of students around me.

I realized as soon as I stepped out of the school that I didn’t have a ride home, I would have to walk. So I headed in the direction of my house ignoring the world around me.

*

 About an hour later I arrived at my house only to find no one home, but honestly I didn’t care. The only place I would truly be at home was outside. It was among the trees and the woodland creatures.

I laughed to myself as I walked through the trees, this had been an interesting day, but the best part was coming here, to the forest. It was coming back to where I belonged.

A butterfly flew by me at that moment. Its wings were a vivid red and the design on them was black swirls. It was truly spectacular. I smiled as I fell to the grass, its soft surface brushed my bare legs and I felt at peace.

The trees began to dance as the wind picked up speed, and the world around me came to life. Butterflies erupted from the meadows edges and circled my body. The grace they had was everything I strived towards, and the gentleness they held was everything I wanted to be. 

Standing I looked around me, at my true family, my and I began to sing to the trees about my father.

‘You tucked me in, turned out the light

Kept me safe and sound at night

Little girls depend on things like that

Brushed my teeth and combed my hair

Had to drive me everywhere

You were always there when I looked back’

I spun around as I sang memories of my father flooding back to me. The memories came back like a flood as I fell to my knees; tears welled up in my eyes. I missed him, I truly missed him. I wish he was still here with me, by my side. I wish my mother would once again be a caring mother, but I know that without my father she will never be again. Bowing my head, I let the tears fall from my eyes and just cried.

As I was crying I heard a loud crack on the edge of the meadow, footsteps started closer and fear began to pound through my veins.

My only thought was, ‘Who could possibly be coming here?”

Authors Note: Omg I love this chapter, it gives a bit more insight Evelyn and how she is. I know it’s a short chapter but don’t worry I will most likely update tomorrow or Sunday. 

P.S: The song is Butterfly Fly Away by Miley Cyrus

Comment, possibly vote J

Lots of love <3

Lizzy <3