Chapter 10-What was unexpected

“Above all, don't lie to yourself. The man who lies to himself and listens to his own lie comes to a point that he cannot distinguish the truth within him, or around him, and so loses all respect for himself and for others. And having no respect he ceases to love.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Evelyn’s P.O.V

When I saw him standing there a giant smirk on his face, I turned on my heel and ran. I ran into my meadow, smelling the sweet scent of honeysuckles and grass. The tress seemed to block out the cruel world and I collapsed into the ground, letting the soft caress of the grass comfort me.

As I laid there several butterflies of all colors flew above me, in a gentle circle, as if they were attempting to comfort me. I smiled as I watched them and let all my worries vanish into the sun. As I watched the butterflies I imagined I was one of them. Opening my glorious, delicate wings and flying among them, but that was not true. Such a thought it made my heart ache.

As I laid there I thought of my mother and Marcus, a song playing in my head that described how I felt towards the both of them. As the wind picked up I calmly began singing letting the song float from my throat and into the open world.

You, with your words like knives

And swords and weapons that you use against me

You have knocked me off my feet again

Got me feeling like I'm nothing

You, with your voice like nails on a chalkboard

Calling me out when I'm wounded

You picking on the weaker man

You can take me down with just one single blow

But you don't know, what you don't know...

Someday I'll be living in a big ol' city

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Someday I'll be big enough so you can't hit me

And all you're ever gonna be is mean

Why you gotta be so mean?

You, with your switching sides

And your wildfire lies and your humiliation

You have pointed out my flaws again

As if I don't already see them

I walk with my head down

Trying to block you out 'cause I'll never impress you

I just wanna feel okay again

I bet you got pushed around

Somebody made you cold

But the cycle ends right now

'Cause you can't lead me down that road

And you don't know, what you don't know...”

The loud snapping of a branch caused me to break off the song and look up. I peered through the twisted branches of the trees and there stood none other than Dean himself.

‘Crap’ I muttered under my breath as he began to walk my way an twisted smirk on his face.

“Hello again Evelyn.” He called from where he was standing. Honestly I didn’t want to give him the time of day but the guy did save my life.

“Hello Dean.” I answered back and he began to walk my way. That was when a saw the sun glint off metal and my heart stopped.

Please Please Please just let this be a dream. I prayed in my head as Dean stood in front of me and drug the cold knife across my shirt, tearing it before piercing my soft belly.