Chapter 5

~Ingrid~

Ah well. It wasn’t that bad. Just because I was going on a date doesn’t mean I’ll fall in love. Josh is nice and I like him, but I don’t love him.

It was right after school and I was walking through the halls to my locker, lost in my thoughts. I turned a corner and almost ran into Noel’s tall form.

“Whoa, what the hell Noel?”

He didn’t look happy. He ran a hand through his hair the way he does when he was frustrated. He had a deep frown plastered on his face and worry shining in his eyes.

“What do you think you are doing? You can’t just go out with a random stranger!”

I blinked. He had heard my conversation with Josh?

“Why do you care? As far as I can see, you aren’t my boyfriend. I can go out with whoever I want.”

He sighed and looked down. I don’t know what had gotten into him, he never acted this way before.

“I just don’t want you to get hurt. I don’t like Josh and if he does hurt you, I will hurt him myself,” he mumbled. He looked at me quickly and then turned around and walked away, shoulders drooping slightly.

Noel..

He had never said anything anywhere near that kind before in his life. What was he thinking? I stood there for another moment, then turned slowly to my locker. Well, I couldn’t stay here forever, I had a date to get to.

~

I laughed at Josh’s corny joke, causing people to stare at me. I quieted down to a giggle. Josh was laughing to, his eyes shining.

We had been talking for about an hour, although both of our coffee cups had grown cold. I looked down at my hands after silence took over for the first time in half an hour. What time was it?

I glanced at my clock and then stood up quickly.

“Oh shit, I promised Noel I would go to his house tonight to help him with his homework and it’s already 6:30,” I wondered if Noel even wanted me over after his speech back at school.

“Your...your going to Noel’s house?”

I glanced at Josh. He suddenly looked uneasy. Was he still worried about Noel and me?

I lowered my hands a little bit and smiled, “Josh really, there is nothing going on between me and Noel. I promise you.”

Josh brightened up a little bit at this and nodded slowly standing up as well.

“Well then, I’ll give you a ride there.”

I smiled, nodding thanks and followed him out the door to his car.

~

We pulled up at Noel’s house 15 minutes later.

“Thanks Josh, that was fun.”

He smiled and nodded, “You wanna do it again sometime?”

I pondered for a second. I probably should say no, but it was so much fun. Why couldn’t I go one more time? It won’t kill anyone.

“Sure. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

He opened the door and ran up the path to Noel’s house, waving goodbye to Josh as he pulled away.

I knocked on Noel’s door, announcing my presence before stepping inside.

“Hey Noel? I’m here.”