Chapter 3

~Josh~

I don't know what came over me. We were just talking and she looked so cute and it kind of just...came out. Oh well.

The look on her face told me she was struggling. I thought she liked me? We got along well, what was taking her so long to answer?

I started to feel kind of anxious and fidgeted with my bag strap. This wasn't worth it. I could get any other girl to go out with me any other time, I didn't need her.

But I couldn't get myself to get and and just leave. There was something about her...

"Sure I guess...what time?"

~Ingrid~

I had no idea why I was standing in the middle of the coffee shop with a guy that I didn't like, that I couldn't like. I just couldn't say no back in the classroom. He looked so scared, I didn't want to hurt him.

Anywase, I tried not to think about it as a date. We were just two friends meeting for a coffee. But that way Josh looked at me...

I glanced down and blushed, trying to distract myself. I didn't feel anything I reminded myself. It's just Josh.

I ordered a small mocha to go.

"To go? Don't you want to stay a while?"

Josh looked crestfallen. I felt guilty but I couldn't let this be anything more. I had to escape.

"I uhh...I have a science project to work on..."

That was the first excuse that came to mind, and it was a terrible lie. However Josh didn't know that and he just nodded slowly.

I grabbed my coffee and glanced at him quickly while walking towards the door.

"Well...I'll see you around."

I felt an arm stop me and I turned.

"Wait Ingrid..."

I looked at Josh. He was standing there awkwardly with his hand on my shoulder. He realized it had been there for longer than necessary and quickly pulled away, blushing gently. My heart skipped and stuttered. He was so cute.

What?!

No Ingrid, he was not cute, he was just Josh.

I cleared my throat and said, "Yes Josh, what do you want?"

I waited for him to reply, itching to walk out the door.

He opened his mouth, looked at me and then changed his mind.

"Nevermind...I'll see you around."

~

I walked in my house slowly, my house still in the coffeeshop, watching Josh turn away slowly, disapointment all over his face.

I didn't want to hurt anyone. I was just protecting myself. Had I done the right thing?

"Dad? You home?"

No answer. He must be out again. What was so important that he didn't come home for two days in a row? He had never told me where he was last night.

Another vague message was taped to the fridge with more money for food. I frowned slightly and then just sighed. He was probably just out with his friends or shopping or something.

I grabbed a cup of water and headed upstairs to my room.

My dad had never been on a date since he had divorced my mom. I don't think he ever got over her completely, but maybe he was also doing it for me. He was never very good at social events, so I doubt he could get a date anywase.

My mom had already remarried since the divorce. She had her own family now that didn't include dad or me. She had married Zachary had two children and moved to North Dakota 4 years after the divorce. I visited her every now and then, but she was too far away to be a big part of my life.

Sure, I missed her, but dad needed me. He wouldn't be able to live if I weren't there to watch out for him. He needed me and I needed him. I was happy, and that was all that counted.

~

~Josh~

I didn't know what was wrong with me. I couldn't stop thinking about her.

I didn't know what to do about it. She seemed to want just a friendship. And I wanted that too, but didn't I want more?

I couldn't get the look on her face off of my mind when I stopped her in the coffee shop. I thought I saw something when she turned around to look at me, but she quickly replaced whatever it was with an annoyed expression. It hurt more than I could say, and I just couldn't tell her.

I should just forget about her. Shouldn't I?

No.

I couldn't give up that easily. I never gave up. I would try again, until I convinced her I was worth it.

~

Hey guys!

So chapter 3! Sorry it took me so long. Had a dramatic week...anywase =p

Hopefully you guys like it and I know some of u said u like Noel better...but just keep reading =)

Also, new aspect of story! Her father will be more important! Ull see!!

Also (sorry bout all of the alsos =)) check out my new story Don't Lie to Me, it is kind of completely different, but read it and let me know what you think! Thanks!

As always, read and comment!