Chapter 1

The first thing I remember looking at were his chocolate brown eyes smiling down at me. I remember stupidly grinning back, my mind wiped of anything I was thinking. Only one thought was left in my mind. “I give up.”

~

Love doesn’t exist. That was what I convinced myself since I was very little. I watched my parents argue about the smallest things and think, this was love?

When I was 13 years old, they finally made it official. They hadn’t lived in the same house for three years. They said they were “experimenting,” that they still cared about each other. If caring about each other included living in two completely different worlds, then I’m amazed. But I knew they were just saying that for my benefit.

When I was halfway through middle school I watched as a stupid boy broke my friend’s heart leaving me to pick the pieces back up again. I hated watching guys drop girls like they were an old pair of shoes. I didn’t ever want that to happen to me.

I had avoided any sort of romance, believing that if I ever got myself into one, I would end up breaking my heart. I didn’t want to ever give my heart away if it meant I would never get it back.

~

School was fine. It always is right? It is never terrible, and it is never great. I was a good student. I did my homework, I passed all my tests, I came to school on time. I kept a good record for my parents knowing if they ever saw anything different, they would murder me.

I couldn’t say the same for my best friend Noel. He didn’t care what the teachers thought of him. He did whatever he wanted, whenever he wanted. And he got away with it too. His cute blue eyes always looked so innocent with his dark brown hair cropped and styled in a messy but stylish way. But I knew him better than that. Behind all of his smart and cute looks, he was a dangerous playful one, one that always had to be watched carefully.

We balanced each other out. He made sure I had some fun, and I made sure he never got into too much trouble. We were perfectly suited for each other. We had been friends since middle school when he tugged on my ponytail, chanting nonsense about a dumb blonde. I turned around and smacked his smirk right off his face, replacing it with perfect surprise. He never got away with anything where I was involved. We had been best friends ever since.

~

“So blondey, what’s the agenda today?”

“You are going to sit patiently in class for once without annoying the shit out of me.”

“Aww come now, you know you can’t resist me.”

He smirked at himself, thinking he was so clever. Jerk. He didn’t know a thing. How hard do you think I would have to punch him to knock some sense into his sense-deprived mind?

“It’s the first day of school Noel, don’t get on my bad side.”

“Ha, your bad side, huh? I’d hate to see that.”

He feigned a scared look and flinched as if my look of disgust frightened him. He couldn’t hold that face for long and soon his stupid smirk appeared once again.

“Alright, alright, don’t get your panties in a twist, I’ll behave…to an extent.”

I gave him a look and grabbed my books, shutting my locker. I walked towards my class checking to make sure Noel was still behind me. No way was he going to escape with me watching.

My first class was Photography with my favorite teacher Mr. Graner. He knew so much about photography. I loved pictures, and I only wished that one day I would be as good of a photographer as he was. I had been in his class for two years now, and I thought I was slowly getting better.

I walked in, gave Mr. Graner a smile and walked towards my usual spot. My pace sharply stopped when I realized it was taken by probably the cutest guy I had ever seen. He glanced up at me and smiled, his dark brown eyes twinkling.

Oh my god.

Noel walked into my back making me stumble forward a step.

“What the hell..” he mumbled, poking me in the back with the tip of his pencil.

“Keep moving Ingrid, What’s the matter with you?”

I slowly shook my head and started walking forward again, keeping my eyes trained to the floor. I could feel his gaze on me as I stumbled past him.

I took a seat behind him and slumped down in my seat.

He had curly blonde hair streaked with natural brown highlights. He was wearing a jersey with the name “Calloney” written in blue letters on the back. You could see he was well built from the shape of his shoulders and back.

Snap out of it Ingrid, what’s gotten into you?!

I shook my head slightly and focused on the board.  Mr. Graner was talking about the affect of the macro setting on your camera. He then started to explain a new group project that we would be working on for the next month.

I felt a sharp tap on my shoulder and I turned around to Noels bored face.

“Help me!” he mouthed, feigning dying of boredom.

I smirked and gave him the finger as I turned around to the front of the class. I could hear Noels chuckle as he slid farther down his chair. He was so going to flunk this class if he didn’t start paying attention fast.

I froze.

Mr. Graner was reading out the partners for the group project.

“Ingrid Talloy and Josh Calloney will work together.”

What?!

“Aww, are you serious Mr. Graner? You know I can’t be anyone else’s partner but Ingrid’s.” Noel said, sarcasm deep in his voice.

Mr. Graner ignored him and continued on the list, pairing Noel up with a brunette with big glasses, Ellie I think her name was. Noel gave me a pleading look and slowly walked to his partner’s side.

I turned to the front slowly meeting Josh’s eyes.

Oh boy…this was going to be a long month.

                                                                                         ~

Hey guys! thanks for reading my story and please vote!

I have a lot of plans for this story, hopefully some of which u will like so keep reading!

If you have any suggestions or comments please write them below!

Thank you!