Chapter 21: The Two

CHAPTER 21: THE TWO

"It seems that we now have to tolerate a couple of choices. I had high hopes for you Trixiophiliosaur" T-Rexus said in pretense regret. "You might still have a choice, rejoin my army or your race will suffer my wrath!" T-Rexus threatened.

"I have watched my people suffer under your rule, listening to your empty promises of freedom. I served you to save them but you ignored their cries. I will never return to your army" Trix said firmly.

"Think about all you gave up to save your people, to deliver them from their misery. Think about the love you gave up. The love of the princess. You will never gain anything regardless of what you give up. Last chance, join me and my army. After the chosen one is dead, along with his companions and the traitors, I will return to you the freedom of your people" T-Rexus said.

Trix seemed to think for a while. T-Rexus sensed him weakening.

"Dinosaurs will walk the earth again and take back what rightfully belongs to them. The power, the riches, the glory, the throne" T-Rexus said.

These words kept echoing deep within Trix. Then Trix looked T-Rexus straight in the eye after some thought and said

"No".

"What? You are refusing my offer? Think of all the riches, the glory, the princess!" T-Rexus said.

Trix's eyes opened wide.

"Yes Trix, she is not dead. I will return her to you if you join me. Think carefully, if you don't, all that you have sacrificed will be in vain" T-Rexus said.

Trix thought of the princess then looked at T-Rexus.

"The princess will never have me betray her people for her sake. Besides..." Trix said as he looked at Sam.

"It's not what we sacrifice but the choices we make that decide the fate of the people we love!" Trix declared.

"Stupid philosophy! Almost as stupid as you are! Too bad, you would have made an excellent prince" T-Rexus said.

Then he raised his claws to the sky and pulled them back sharply and the next place they ended up in was Trix's chest, right through his heart.

"No! Trix! Trix! You can't die! Trix! No!" Sam cried frantically.

Two dinosaurs grabbed Sam and held him tight. Sam stretched his arms towards Trix as Trix fell. Trix turned to him and said

"Be brave Sam! Be brave!" and then Trix's head fell limp to the ground and his eyes slowly shut.

Sam broke free of the dinosaurs' grips and ran to Trix's side.

"Trix, you can't die! You just can't!" Sam shut his eyes as the tears streamed down his face while trying to deny the awful reality.

Lucy, Nancy and Jane too were weeping. John and George were comforting them but their voices were trembling and tears were streaming down their own faces. Then Sam said to Trix,

"I will save this world. I will free your people and save the princess, I promise!" then Sam wiped the tears from his face and pointed to T-Rexus.

"Tarantella! Your hatred will be your end!"

Sam walked to John, George, Lucy, Nancy and Jane. There was a huge lump rising in his throat. So huge that the underside of his chin hurt. It was very difficult to breathe but he knew he had to say this.

"Lucy, Nancy, John, George, Jane" he called their names. "We've been through a lot together. This is my last adventure with you. More than anything, I wish I could be there to see the world restored to its former beauty but my destiny seems to be clear" he said.