Chapter 12: Fake & True

Black Cat

"Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway."

- Kiera Cass, The One (The Selection, #3)

Jeongyeon could still remember how she clung to this book— particularly to this quote— a few years ago. It had always amazed her that it seemed unrealistic how Maxon unselfishly forgave America.

Maybe, he already knew she was worth all the heartbreaks.

In considering relationships, it wasn't the question of 'can this person break my heart?' for Jeongyeon but 'how far will I be able to take any heartbreak from this person?' because reality was... hearts could get broken no matter what.

These thoughts lingered on her while she was watching her man— who was by the way smoking— from afar.

Their relationship was far from perfect, they'd even argue over petty things but they'd always end up making up or making out

Their relationship was far from perfect, they'd even argue over petty things but they'd always end up making up or making out. The worst quarrel they'd ever had was probably the one that involved Sana and it was a very long time ago. However, Jeongyeon knew that the worst things could come sooner or later but she'd been ready for it. Whatever it would be, she knew she'd handle it.

Jimin noticed her when he turned sideways— he was surprised. She felt like something was bothering him so she went closer. His expression softened and he smiled endearingly. He exhaled the smoke on his left side before facing her again.

Jimin: Honey, what are you doing here?

Jeongyeon: I was looking for you... you just suddenly left. Let's eat dinner?

Jimin: Arasseo, I'll just finish this...

Jeongyeon: Would you like me to leave?

Jimin: A—ani. Stay, if you want... but the smell will linger on your clothes.

This was the first time that Jeongyeon had seen him smoke. She gently took the cigarette from him and put it in her mouth.

Jimin: Yah, what are you doing?

Jeongyeon: Wae? I wanna smoke too.

Jimin: No, stop that.

Jeongyeon: Let's have a deal, everytime you'd smoke, I'll smoke too.

He blinked from what he heard and pressed his lips.

Jimin: Arasseo. *pulled the stick away from Jeongyeon, threw it on the floor, and stepped on it* No more smoking.