Whiplash

"This is your house?"
"I guess" I say unenthusiastically
"It's enormous"
"Wanna come in?"
"I'd like to not have to go home just yet"
He parks the car haphazardly, the back tires leaving tracks on the freshly mowed lawn. I couldn't care less.
The house was locked. I guess Manya had left for the airport. I lift one of the flower pots beside the door and pick up the hidden key and we make our way to the kitchen.
"Want anything to drink?"
"Beer sounds good"
"What do you have against being sober?" I half joked as I toss him one.
I was expecting one of his smart-arse answers but his eyes were dark.
"I've got too many thoughts," he says. "That's why I do drugs. Because it stops me from being like that." The way he said that so casually and with so much self-awareness, was perplexing.
"Drugs..." is all I manage to let out, thinking back to last night, and the little baggie with the white substance he so swiftly stashed away.
"From childhood, I have felt this deep, carnal desire to be sedated. It helps me shut off the noises in my brain"
"What kind of drugs?" I say, unsure if that was an okay question to ask.
"This and that" he laughs more lightheartedly now, shrugging off the seriousness.
I notice his blood speckled shirt and ask him if I should toss it in the washer.
He makes a joke about questioning my motives and where I'm going with this and I smack his arm playfully as a response. But then as he's taking off the shirt, I notice the v line sticking out of his jeans, his lean yet tight body, his tattoos, his sparse chest hair and I feel the heat return to my face.
I turn away grabbing the shirt he hands me and briskly walk off to the washer. I swear I heard a soft chuckle coming from where he stood.
"What happened to your shirt, by the way?" I ask as I seat myself beside him on the couch
"I got blood on it"
"Well obviously. But how did the blood get on it?" my voice giving away my impatience
"Let's just say I got into an altercation" he sighs
"Of course you did" I didn't press any further. I was exhausted. One moment he's telling me about his deep carnal desires and the next, he's dodging trivial questions like this.
"My head is pounding. Mind if I lie down?"
"Follow me" I say and we make our way upstairs to my room.