18

Its been about a week since Mya first had James kidnapped and his family wasn't even close to discovering his whereabouts. She read Harry's official statement regarding his son in the Daily Prophet and it was clear that Dumbledore involved the Ministry. The article said that the search for him had been widened but the results were still inconclusive.

     She finished the rest of the article and decided to let him go that afternoon. Her point had been made to Harry and she was sure he felt the blow. Besides, she acquired enough blood from the boy for her spell, keeping him was no longer necessary. She had to work at the bookstore today, yes, but she had a plan. She snatched some hairs from a random person as she walked down the street for lunch one day. She'd use said hairs for the polyjuice potion she'd been brewing. Knowing such a potion took a month to brew, she began as soon as she re-entered society. Making her presence known to the rest of the wizarding world after her bookstore was finished was definitely working in her favor.

     She put the newspaper down and got ready for work.

*****

     "Good Morning, Narcissa. How was your night?" Mya asked as she walked into the store through the back.

     "I'm well, thank you. Yours was well I hope?" Narcissa inquired.

     "Oh, indeed it was. I got a lot of work done before Draco and I had a quiet dinner," she replied.

     "Good, good. Before you got here, I took the liberty of restocking some of the shelves. Here's a list of the ones I haven't gotten to yet," Narcissa said handing her a slip of paper.

     "Great, I'll put my things down and get right to it," she said.

     The two worked quietly for a while until it was time to open the store. They had a later start today so the shop didn't open until 10:30a. It didn't take long for customers to stream in. The ladies worked nonstop until Mya decided to take her lunch break. With a wave her wand, she left a cloned version of herself in her office that would activate in the event she didn't return from lunch in a timely manner. After that was done, she picked up some floo powder and recited her address into the flames. With a whoosh, she was gone.

     She arrived home and immediately set down her wand. She went over to her kitchen cabinet and opened it to retrieve a spare wand. She had about three of them, but this one was special. It was special in the fact that it would no longer be used after today. For if her plan goes smoothly, she wouldn't ever need it again.

     As the stroke of noon approached, she readied herself for departure. After putting her own wand in her room for safe keeping, she picked up the spare one and apparated to the Shrieking Shack.

*****

     Dropping the hairs into the small cauldron, Mya stirred the polyjuice potion two times clockwise and three times counter-clockwise. Having brewed this potion many times during her school career she knew it would only take ten minutes for everything to be complete and five minutes for it to cool down to the perfect drinking temperature.

     While she waited, she checked on the boy who was still sleeping on the lumpy mattress. Determining that he was fine, she walked back to the table and picked up the note she created a couple of days ago. A small addition to infuriate Dumbledore and Harry alike. A message addressing the headmaster's incompetence which will incite action against him being in charge of so many students.

     Once the potion had cooled, she ladled some into a cup and blew on it. She vanished the cauldron and downed the contents.

     She could feel her body change and let a muffled groan slip from her lips, the sound which woke the boy a few feet from her. The young man wiped his eyes and moved back into the corner of the mattress as if that could benefit him. Mya put on the cloak she always wore in the shack and picked up the piece of paper. She slowly walked toward him, taking in his scared expression and smirked. She bent down to touch his cheek with a gloved hand in an affectionate manner and brushed her lips lightly to his forehead.

     "Thank you, for your sacrifice," she murmured in a voice not her own. After momentarily forgetting her cold demeanor, she gathered herself. With a sticking charm, she slapped the note on his chest and grabbed his arm. She detested side-long apparition but it was necessary and with a wave of her wand, they were both gone.

     The forbidden forest was uncharacteristically thick with fog that day which made for some extra cover, but not enough. It just so happened that Dumbledore, Professor McGonagall, and a few Aurors were headed in the direction Mya and James had landed in. Sensing that they weren't alone, she dragged the boy with her as she ran in a familiar direction. The group caught sight of them and were quickly on their tail. All of a sudden, a break in the trees was visible so she ran for it.

     Lo and behold, the Black Lake was in front of her. A smirk graced her lips and she thought of her former home.

     She skidded to a halt before she could touch the water and turned around with the wand to James' neck.

     "Any closer and the boy dies," she warned them. Her voice gravely and slightly deeper in pitch.

     "There's nowhere for you to go Miss Dolohov," Dumbledore began but she cut him off.

     "Who is Miss Dolohov?" She asked, appearing to be befuddled by his response. She removed her cloak and fiery red locks fell from the hood as it dropped to the ground. "I assure you, I have no idea who that is. But you can have the boy back, I'm done with him."

     "What do you mean you're done with him?" McGonagall demanded.

     "Don't worry about it, woman," she replied as she kicked the boy away from her person. James fell flat on his face.

     "ARREST HER!" Dumbledore shouted.

     She wasn't paying him any mind as she ran parallel to the water. Before the Aurors could catch up to her, she took out the spare wand that was perfect for the occasion.

     "Piss off!" She yelled over her shoulder.

     The telltale crack of apparition could be heard from all those around. Mya vanished into thin air. Soon the Aurors too began to vanish from sight as they tracked her through her apparitions.

     She led them on a wild goose chase. From Scotland to China and Germany, Austria to Morocco and Italy. The Aurors began to tire as they continued to track her through Greece, Romania, and Sudan. 

     Finally, in a muggle New York alley, she stopped. She tapped her wrist three times before pausing for a millisecond. She touched her hair and saw that it returned to its brunette state. She knew she only had a few seconds left due to the surprise she left for the Aurors at her previous stop. After magically changing her outfit and adding a coat to the mix, she broke the wand and left it on the ground. She knew they would try and analyze the spells used but it would only do so much. One would think they could check for fingerprints but the magical world, although advanced in its own right, had yet to think of such.

     Mya, now herself, walked out of the alley into the foot traffic. She could just make out the sounds of frustration coming from the alley letting her know the aurors had arrived. Passing by the alley entrance, she could see them but they couldn't see her. She blended in well. Too well.

     She smirked as she walked down the street. Everything was falling into her lap. She didn't notice the man in front of her until it was too late and they both tumbled to the ground. Other pedestrians made a small space as they hurriedly walked around the duo, they had other things to worry about.

     "Did it work?" She heard a voice whisper in her ear.

     "Swimmingly," she replied as the man helped her to her feet.

     "Great. Now let's get you back to work," the man said.

     She looked up and saw the grey eyes of her beloved. Smiling, she stood on her tippy toes and planted a kiss on Draco's lips.

     "Yes, lets."