2

After Dumbledore cursed Hermione, she took to the waters of the Black Lake. No one has heard from her and since that day, she became the most fearsome creature in that body of water. The merrows dared not cross her and the giant squid even kept his distance. Hermione gave in to her more animalistic nature and, as a result, her senses became heightened and instead of regular teeth, fangs grew to take their place. As if that wasn't enough, she found that her eyes had turned cold and silver in color. With her new might, she more or less ruled the depths of the Black Lake.

     She fashioned herself a crown of bones and rotten flesh, which sat atop her massive curls. She also took it upon herself to create a scepter out of the spine of a selkie, following that, even they knew their place. Her wand was placed into the center of the scepter and with its emboldened power, she was unstoppable.

     For two years, she wrought havoc the Black Lake and its inhabitants. She lashed out at anything that crossed her because of the anger and resentment she felt toward the one who cursed her. Her path of vengeance had left her already darkened humanity black with little to no possibility of becoming light again.

     Now, Hermione found herself bored of the routine she fell in. She was lonely. The life she once knew seemed far away, as if a veil clouded her memories and that disconcerted her. Upon pondering her slight misfortune, she heard a ruckus on the far side of what she dubbed her lake.

     Pumping her tail, she came to a boulder to gaze on the scene before her. The merrows had been attacking a unicorn at the water's edge. For some reason, she felt a strong connection to this extraordinary being. A blind rage began to build within her at the thought of it being killed. She let out a piercing shriek and pointed her scepter at all the merrows in her way. Blue fire radiated in all directions until all the creatures in sight either fled from sheer terror or were burned to ash.

     She searched for the unicorn but found the shore empty. Crestfallen, Hermione almost went back to her watery home until she heard a low whine.

     Turning back to the lakeshore, she found that the land seemed to call upon her, to beg for her to return to it after so many years.

     Curiosity got the better of her and she pulled herself onto the sand. The closer she got to the forest, the drier her body felt and before she could change her mind, her tail dried completely and legs took its place.

     Bewildered by the sudden change, she paused for a few moments. Once again, she heard the whine of what she assumed to be the wounded unicorn. She grabbed her scepter and used it to help her stand up. It took a lot more energy than she expected but she began to regain balance on her legs. Taking small steps, she followed the scent of blood and made her way into the shade of the forest.

     Upon seeing the creature hurt and barely alive, Hermione scrunched her face at the unknown emotion blossoming in her chest.

     She hadn't felt that way in a very long time... when she used to know a boy.