7

Confusion and hurt flashed across Draco's face at Hermione's response. How could she not know him?

     "Don't you recognize me?" He asked her. "We went to school together... not far from here actually."

     Hermione cocked her head to the side. It looked like she was trying in vain to remember something as she sighed in defeat.

     "Even if you don't remember me, I could try to help you with your memory..."

     She narrowed her eyes, somewhat annoyed with the conversation. "And what would you suggessst?"

     "Well," he paused and scratched his chin. "That depends on you. If you can remember something, no matter how small, it can help me figure out the best way to approach this situation."

     He watched as Hermione closed her eyes and the frown lines began to appear. Five minutes or so had passed and he saw a tear form at the corner of her right eye. Before he could attempt to go over and wipe said tear, Hermione's eyes shot open and she smiled brightly in what he assumed was success.

     "I remembered sssomething! I was talking to someone and I called him Harry. He ssseemed," she paused looking for the right word. "To feel sorry for me but I don't know why."

     Draco looked thoughtful. They had no means of viewing her memories without a pensieve, so another method was necessary. He did know of some flowers that could assist Hermione but he wasn't sure how she would feel about a hallucinogen.

     "Are you familiar with the effects of the root from the Arctic Clove?" He queried.

     Hermione gave him a look of pure exasperation. "Jussst because I don't remember much from my passst doesn't mean I'm ignorant. However, I did not know that there were any in this foressst. How will you acquire some?"

     He smirked and looked toward the castle that was Hogwarts.

     "Oh there's not any here in the forest, but I know just where to get it," he said before turning back to her. "How long will you be in this quaint spring of yours?"

     She tilted her head up and gazed at the sky for a moment. "I should be heading back sssoon. The sssun will rissse any minute now."

     Draco's eyes widened as he looked to the sky as well.

     "Bloody hell!" He exclaimed, not realizing how long he was out in the open. He got down on all fours and gazed into Hermione's big brown eyes. "I guess you're about to discover something else about me, maybe you'll remember that."

     He watched as her expression changed from confusion at his words to familiarity as he shifted into a unicorn.