8

To Hermione's amazement the man she was just conversing with grew in size and stature, which revealed him to be a unicorn. The very same beast she just assisted earlier that day.

     She felt a little bad at this point because she lied to Draco. She had remembered him... from once upon a dream. Those grey eyes, those pale arms, that pull she immediately felt when he approached her and how the figure changed shape. Could this man be from her past and her dreams?

     Why had she not seen this coming? She exhaled as she faced him.

     "I guesss I'll have to wait until later to see what plansss you'll come up with for those rootsss you'll be getting," she said to Draco while treading to the edge of the spring. She caressed his head before continuing. "Let me check your woundsss to ensure the magic took hold."

     He turned to the side as she inspected his injuries. Once she was sure they hadn't become septic, a yawn overcame her.

     "Looksss like you're all set, but I'm posssitively knackered. Will you walk me back to the Black Lake?" She asked. The unicorn got up with haste and nodded eagerly. Hermione smirked while grabbing her scepter to use as she got out the spring.

     Remembering how Draco had on some type of coverage in his human form, she looked down at herself. Draco did too. Blood slowly crept into her cheeks, she forgot its bad form to be naked in front of others in public. It's been so long since she wore actual clothing. With a wave of her scepter, the wind swirled around her. After fashioning herself a sheer robe of sorts before she and the unicorn made their way to the lake.

     They passed many beautiful sights on the slow march they were on. One could even believe it to be romantic. Beautiful flower beds, creatures in their usual habitats, and the natural magic that seemed to infuse the forest became apparent every little step they took. The silence between the two was no longer awkward and strained, but comfortable and welcome.

     When they reached the shore, Hermione turned back toward Draco and once more caressed the crown of his head in what could almost be taken as a gesture of affection from the mermaid whose heart was cold as ice. Could it be that it was melting?

     She opened her mouth to speak and was pleasantly surprised to see that, although her voice wasn't one hundred percent acclimated to being on land, she could speak.

     "I shall return to the ssspring at dusk, I hope to meet you there." Draco nodded and watched as she ran towards the water and dived in, returning home.

***

     When it was time to go back to the spring, Hermione swam with some pep in her breaststroke. That excess energy seemed to create an extra bubble of protection around her as she made her way to the surface.

     It was dusk when she arrived at the shore. She pulled herself onto the ground and waited once more for her tail to dry completely before heading to the spring. She wordlessly called for her sheer dress to return to her on the way there as well. Coming to the spring, she was pleased to see that Draco was already waiting for her with his feet in the water. Beside him sat a peculiar satchel with what she assumed contained the roots of the Arctic Clove he told her about.

     "I sssee you're here before me thisss time," she said as she stepped into the water.

     Draco smiled and patted the bag he had next to him. "I brought the Arctic Clove roots so we can start unveiling the mystery that is your memories." Hermione watched as he took out a mortar and pestle before proceeding to crush the plant into a fine powder.

     "Do you think you could heat up some water so I can make this tea for us?" He asked her while inspecting his handiwork.

     "Usss? You're going to take sssome as well?" She inquired.

     "Yes, I keep my word," Draco said.

     She smiled lightly and heated the water he had in some cups he'd apparently brought. As it came to a slight rolling boil, Draco poured the powder equally into both cups. He picked up his wand and muttered an incantation which surprised Hermione.

     "You have a wand," she stated in astonishment. He looked at her incredulously.

     "Oh yeah, your memory is shot. We've got to get you back quickly. The spell I used, allows me to take this journey with you. So, don't worry, you won't be alone."

     She watched as Draco stood up and walked around the spring whispering and waving his wand around. He looked like a madman, but only because Hermione couldn't quite comprehend what was happening. If she knew things such as this in the past then she wholeheartedly agreed, she needed her memories and fast. When he sat back down, he checked the cups and was pleased they were at an acceptable temperature.

     "Before we begin, I must warn you, it doesn't taste very good but you have to drink it all so you can get the full effect of the roots. Or else it would all be for naught," Draco mentioned before taking his portion to the head.

     "Thanksss for the heads up," she said before looking down into her own cup.

     Taking a deep breath, she tipped her head back, raised the cup to her lips, and swallowed it all.

     He was right, it didn't taste very good at all and before she could say so, her cup fell into the water. She sank to the bottom of the spring and saw that Draco had slumped over as well, with his feet still dangling in the water. She felt her back hit the waterbed and gazed at the moon until she succumbed to the effects of the ground roots.

     Her eyes closed softly and she was thrust, rather forcefully, into a memory.