fourteen

chapter fourteen
It'll be a great birthday
Thursday 8th February 2018

"Can we spend the evening together tomorrow?" Tom asked as he spoke to Olivia on the phone.

"Of course we can, it's your birthday, after all. What would you like to do?" Olivia smiled as she watched over her children doing their homework. They had two td-days, meaning they had Thursday and Friday off of school.

"Well, maybe I could come to yours?" Tom asked slowly. Olivia could tell he was nervous, but she couldn't understand why.

"If that's what you want." She smiled. "I'll be more than happy. I can cook you a nice meal and the kids can go to Lizzy and Eric's?" It sounded perfect, actually. A night in, in the comfort of her own home.

"That's actually not what I meant." On the other side of the line, Tom scratched his head. He didn't know if what he was about to ask was stepping over a line. They were definitely moving fast, but would this be too fast for even them? "I was wondering if it could be the four of us?"

"Oh," Olivia replied. She swallowed slowly as she looked at her children. "I think that would be nice, but a bit scary." Tom chuckled.

"I know. But I can't wait any longer. They're your whole life, and I'm hoping you'll be mine soon. And if you will, so will they. I don't want to put it off and it constantly be a barrier we're worried to get past. But if it's too soon, I understand." He didn't want to push Olivia into anything she didn't want to, but he'd never felt so eager to get to know someone's family.

"I think it's a lovely idea. Can I speak to them quickly? And I'll get back to you?" Olivia didn't want to force her children to meet someone if they didn't want to. Olivia and Tom may not need time, but the kids might.

"Of course. I'll speak to you in a bit?"

"Yeah. Thank you. Bye Tom." He hung up the phone and Olivia sighed lightly. She never thought she'd be having this conversation with her children, especially when they're so young.

"Kids?" Olivia retook her seat on the sofa. They both sat at the coffee table working on their maths. "Can I talk to you about something?"

"Yes mummy." Lyra nodded her head quickly and looked up from her book, so did Asher.

"What do you think about having Tom over for dinner tomorrow night? It's his birthday." Olivia added, as if it's a necessary piece of information. For some reason, it was.

"It's marvel man's birthday?" Asher questioned with a goofy grin.

"We can make him avengers cupcakes!" Lyra squealed and jumped up to her feet. "We're amazing at cupcakes, aren't we Ash?" The sister bounced over to her brother who had become just as excited.

"We'd love for him to come to dinner!" Asher looked as excited as he usually does for a football game.

"Guys, are you sure?" Olivia was mildly surprised they didn't react how they did when she said she was going on a date.

"Yes, mummy." Asher nodded eagerly.

"Does this mean he'll be our new Dad?" Lyra asked and Olivia nearly started coughing in shock. There was an awkward quiet that settled on the room as the mother tried desperately to choke words up.