Chapter One: The God

(A/N: Your outfit and mask above)

(Y/N)'s POV:

If you were to ask me; what's the first thing you remember? I'd reply; pain. The first thing I remember is pain. And I don't mean anything like emotional pain. I mean physical and even mental pain. You see, I'm a HYDRA experiment. I'm supposed to be stronger, smarter, better than the Avengers combined. Even stronger than Thor and he's the God of Thunder. But, just to do that, I have to go through pain daily. They couldn't give me powers, however. Well, they probably would've if I hadn't escaped. But, I didn't escape unharmed.

I fell into a trap and burned a good portion of my face. Now I don't have much of a face, only a resemblance of a face, and no one should look at it. I took a helmet from HYDRA to hide whatever face I had left. My first mistake. I made my way to the nearest town where I was discovered by S.H.I E.L.D.Agents and they took me away. Scared, I fought them. My second mistake. I was soon tased and taken to S.H.I.E.L.D. Headquarters where I was questioned by a man I'd later know as Director Fury.

He took the helmet off and was the first to see my face. I told him everything that I've been through and what happened to my face. After a long time, I joined S.H.I.E.L.D.. But that was a long time ago. At that time, the world's heroes weren't as well known apart from Tony Stark. So, the Avengers weren't a team yet. I was still working forS.H.I.E.L.D. I replaced the helmet with a mask so no one would see my face.

Anyone who asks, I just tell them that whoever looks at my face, dies. I know in the back of my head it's a lie but I'm ashamed of the constant reminder that I'm a HYDRA experiment. It hasn't healed properly so it still looks fresh or I got it recently when what happened was five years ago and I refuse to get plastic surgery or anything to look normal. This is only because if people don't believe my lie, they'll mock me. I don't know.

Anyway, I was in abase at N.A.S.A where me and another agent, Agent Clint Barton, also known as Hawkeye, were watching a scientist named Erik Selvig study something called a Tesseract. No idea what it is but we were assigned to watch him and make sure no one steals the thing. Like anyone can get down here anyway. Director Fury came with Agent Hill and talked to Erik, me, and Clint about the Tesseract. It was acting weird and that's all I knew.

The Tesseract started spiking, making the ground rumble. A beam of blue energy shot forward opening a portal or something. It then exploded into some blue cloud, thankfully, not harming anyone. What in the world just happened? The cloud got caught on the ceiling so I think that might be a problem. Where the portal was stood a man in green robes and armor, long slicked back raven hair and a spear or staff with a pointy end and a blue orb in the middle.

Director Fury ordered him to put it down but, instead, he attacked. I had a go at him but he hit me hard with the staff and knocked me out. For a good few seconds then I woke up to see Director Fury taking the Tesseract while the new guy seemingly took control of Clint.

"Please don't. I still need that," the man told Fury with a British accent.

"This doesn't have to get any messier," Fury told him.

"Of course it does. I've come too far for anything else. I am Loki, of Asgard and I am burdened with glorious purpose."

"Loki, brother of Thor," Erik said.

"We have no quarrel with your people," Fury said.

"An ant has no quarrel with about," the man seemingly known as Loki said.

"Are you planning to step on us?" I asked.

"I come with glad tidings of a world made free," Loki explained.

"Free from what?" Fury asked.

"Freedom. Freedom is life's great lie. Once you accept that, in your heart," Loki turned to Erik using his staff to control him, "You will know peace."

"Yeah, you say 'peace', I kind of think you mean the other thing."

Clint worked out Fury was trying to stall them and let the cloud on the ceiling destroy the place and bury everyone. Clint shot me and Fury before heading out with the Tesseract. I'm glad I was wearing something bulletproof so I'm not dead. Fury called Agent Hill and told her that Clint was on Loki's side. We got up and left for the helicopter. We got there, got in, and flew away just as the base turned into ruins. A car with Lokiriding in the back came out of the base and drove off but our helicopter followed.

Fury fired at them only to have Loki shoot back and knock the helicopter out of the air. Fury and I jumped out safely and, by then, Loki was gone with the Tesseract. Fury calledHill and Agent Coulson asking if everyone was okay. Some were but some were still in the rubble. Fury said, as of now, we are at war. Lovely. Fury gave me new orders. We need to get the Avengers together so I will talk to Captain Steven Rodgers about the situation. The two of us have met before when he first woke up after being on ice for seventy years.

He hasn't seen my face because I had just gotten my mask around that time. I can talk with him. I went to a boxing ring for practice fights where Steve was punching a punching bag. He knocked it off the hanger and sand spilled out of it. He took another one, hung it up, and started punching it again.

"Trouble sleeping?" I asked.

"I slept for seventy years, ma'am. I think I've had my fill," Steve said.

"Then you should be out, celebrating, seeing the world."

Steve stopped what he was doing and took off the bandages from around his fists.

"When I went under. The world was at war. I wake up, they say we won. They didn't say what we lost," Steve said.

"As far as I'm aware, we've made some mistakes along the way. Some, very recently," I said.

"Are you here with a mission, Ma'am?"

"I am."

"Trying to get me back in the world?"

"Trying to save it," I gave him some files about the Tesseract.

"HYDRA's secret weapon."

"Howard Stark fished that out of the ocean when he was looking for you. He thought what we think. The Tesseract could be the key to unlimited sustainable energy. That's something the world sorely needs."

Steve gave the file back, "Who took it from you?"

"He's called Loki," I said taking the file, "he's not from around here. There's a lot we'll have to bring you up to speed on if you're in. The world has gotten even stranger than you already know."

"At this point, I doubt anything would surprise me."

"Ten bucks says you're wrong," Steve took his bag and a punching bag ready to leave, "there's a debriefing packet waiting for you back at your apartment," Steve walked away, "is there anything you can tell us about the Tesseractthat we ought to know now?"

"You should have left it in the ocean."

And he's gone. I left soon after. I need some sleep.