33. Soon You'll Get Better

Soon You'll Get Better- TAYLOR SWIFT

This song has gotten me through the pandemic thus far.

Comment what country you're from! I'm super interested😄

Trigger Warnings: Medical Procedures and Abuse

Amelia Shepherd

I hold Meredith's hand tightly as Teddy just stares at the fragile form in only underwear below her. It doesn't appear that the slash marks are particularly deep, although surface wounds are often more painful than the deep ones. There's so many more nerve endings.

"Can we get her some pain relief?" I speak up. "Just ibuprofen though- I don't want her on anything stronger."

To be honest, I don't feel steady enough to be in a room with anything stronger.

Dr Altman hooks up the IV line, allowing me to insert it into Meredith's hand, to avoid the blonde doctor having to touch her more than necessary. Of course, she has an issue with the needle going into her. A sense of relief washes over me watching the clear fluid pass through the tube and into her narrow veins, like the painkillers were relaxing me vicariously.

"The best thing I can do for these wounds is an antibiotic prep. However, I'd like your consent to take some samples and pictures. Its your decision whether you want to pursue this with the police, however I am a mandated reporter. Your father deserves to be punished."

"Thatcher Grey." I announce.

"Are you certain that's his name?" The blonde asks, but gets her notebook out nevertheless to jot down what I'm saying.

"Certain. She went to stay with him, but he wouldn't let her leave, or even text us. She told me earlier that it was Thatcher who whipped her with his belt."

"Alright. Well let's get some samples and pictures."

"WAIT!" Meredith finally speaks up. "What are you going to do to me? I don't want you to touch me? Amy! I hate being a patient!"

"Ahh yes... Teddy... Meredith has a bit of a fear of medical procedures and needles ....being done to her... on the best of days its been a struggle for her to get stitches. This is bound to be terrifying." I warn.

"Can I just take some pictures of your injuries, Meredith? I don't even have to touch you yet. Amelia can turn you over if thats easier on your stomach too. You won't feel a thing just yet"

I've overlooked Teddy as a surgeon since I arrived in Seattle. We operated together once a couple of weeks before Meredith left on a complex GSW to the spine that was dangerously close to the heart. She's not a woman of few words, and neither am I. Often that makes for a clash. But seeing her in her element of trauma triage, and her obvious knowledge of PTSD (which can only be from experience seeing how amazing she is with Meredith) I'm inclined to get to know the surgeon better. She seems like a great person to have in Mer's circle.

Teddy gets one of those old cameras that prints the pictures right away and starts her descent of Meredith's battered body. She squeezes her eyes shut when the photo is taken of her face, but places her hands over her face in embarrassment when pictures are snapped of her chest and stomach.

I look to the ceiling for strength. God grant me the serenity and all that. 

"Alright, can you roll onto your stomach? I know it's tender, but I'm almost done with the pictures." Teddy requests.

Meredith shakes her head adamantly no. It's bound to be really sore on her tummy, I don't blame her.

"I really need to give you a once over, Meredith." Teddy states again.