Chapter 7

When I got to school the next day. I didn't change the way I always hurried out of fear that Landon might change his mind about school being safe now or that maybe his friends wouldn't listen and still beat the shit out of me. I am beginning to think I have trust issues. Okay so we know I do but, can you blame me? 

"You know you are one tough cookie to find in this school." Someone said grabbing my arm from behind scaring the shit out of me. 

"W-what?" I asked turning to find Holden behind me smiling.

"Hold up, I'm not going to hit you if that is what you are thinking." He said looking a little sad.

"N-no you just um... startled me a little." I said with a nervous chuckle. I am always on pins and needles at school.

"I'm sorry, I did say your name a couple times but I don't think you heard me so I grabbed you." He said smiling at me. Nobody ever calls my name unless it is to beat the shit out of me.

"I didn't hear you sorry. What's up?" I asked.

"What are you doing for lunch?" He asked.

"I don't normally go." I said.

"Then what the hell do you do?" He asked.

"Hide in the bathrooms, a empty classroom go to the library or out to my truck if I had time to grab something to eat." I said.

"Not today, we are going to the lunch room and we are going to sit and eat like normal people." He said taking my hand and pulling me behind him  through a bunch of people who were giving us weird looks.

"Um.. I don't think this is a good idea." I said when we stopped in the food line.

"Sure it is. I think it is time you start making friends. And I think it is time we worked on your social skills. You don't do well around people your age." He said as we moved up in the line. I was scanning the tables looking any of my bullies. I didn't want to run into any of them. I really didn't want to be here.

"Fag boy, you never come to lunch." Quinten Holster said.

"Fag boy?" Holden asked looking at him and then me.

"Yeah, you are hanging with Fag Boy Lakes." Quinten said.

"No I am hanging with my new boyfriend Lucas Lakes." Holden said shooting Quinten an evil stare.

"Your a fucking fag too? What until Landon finds out about this." Quinten said.

"Finds out about what?" Landon asked not seeing me. I was kind of hiding behind Holden who was standing with a tray in one hand and the other in a fist ready to hit someone.

"Your fucking new buddy here is a fucking fag just like your loser brother." Quinten said laughing.

"Don't talk about either of them like that again. I told you that Lucas was off limits do I need to remind you?" Landon said.

"You don't own me, Lakes. I will fuck with who ever I fucking feel like." Quinten said.

"Oh yeah?" Landon yelled.

I decided that it was time for me to sneak away and go find a nice quiet and safe place to hide. I was halfway down the hall and could still hear the yelling and I swear I heard Holden in on the yelling but I was to scared to turn around and go see what was going on. I quietly slid into the library and headed for the back tables away from the windows. When I sat down I realized I still had a tray of food. I wasn't all that hungry so I got up and threw it in the trash without being seen.

"You left me." Holden said looking hurt.

"Sorry, I don't like being around people like Quinten. And I really don't like fighting." I said.