Chapter 10

At work the next day I couldn't think straight. I was excited about the house and also a little about hanging out with Holden tonight. My boss was giving me dirty looks and keep talking about scoring and if I uses at work and when I asked him what the hell he was talking about he just looked at me and said, you know. No I don't or I wouldn't ask. People are so fucking confusing.

"Mr. Lakes, I think it would be best if you didn't come back to work. I don't need any users working for me and handling my money." The big boss said.

"Users, what the hell are you talking about? I don't understand any of this." I said looking at him in shock.

"You use drugs and I will not have that kind of thing going on at my business." He yelled.

"I don't uses drugs. I have never used drugs and I am so sick of my mom telling people that. If you want to firer me for something I didn't do, go a head." I said shaking my head.

"How did you know it was your mother?" He asked.

"Because it's not the first time she has told people this. She got my dad to give her money so I could go to treatment. I have never went to treatment. I have never used drugs and I never will. Hell I don't even like taking aspirin." I said getting pissed.

"Well, I still don't want you coming back." He said.

"Fine, I was looking for another job anyways. I am going to find one that drug test." I said gathering my shit so I could leave. 

"I will not add this to any recommendations." He said with a sigh. 

"Whatever." I said before walking out the door. 

He fired me and I still had a couple hours before Holden was going to come get me so I headed to the book store. I saw a help wanted sign and it looked like a quiet place to work. I went in and asked for a application. I sat at the table and filled it out before handing it back to the lady. Once I left there I went back to my truck and drove to the coffee shop and put in another app there. I did the same thing at the movie theater, library and the car wash place before heading home to take a shower and get ready to go out with Holden.

"Your home early." Lacey said once I made it up the stairs. I put my finger up to my lips to have her be quiet and motioned for her to come in my room.

"That bitch got me fired." I whispered.

"What?" She said.

"She told my boss I was on drugs and would steal his money." I said.

"That fucking bitch. What the hell is she trying to prove?" She asked.

"I don't know but I need to get out of here, dad hasn't called with any good news has he?" I almost begged.

"No, silly it's going to take a little bit." She said patting my head. 

"I need to shower and get ready Holden is coming to get me." I said shaking my head and walking to my closet. I pulled out my keys and unlocked the door but it wouldn't open. I pulled harder but still nothing.

"What the hell is that?" Lacey asked pointing to a padlock at the top of my closet.

"She fucking locked me out of my closet." I said shaking my head.

"She can't do that." Lacey said looking pissed.

"She can because it is her house." I said sliding down the wall and sitting on the floor.

"I'll be right back." Lacey said.

"Don't do anything stupid." I said.

"Oh I won't." She said smiling at me.