Seventeen

"Surprise!" N'ijah, Zalma, and baby Israel showed up on Niya's doorstep, laden with flowers and chocolate. Niya, clearly shocked, smiled widely. As the two young women started to sing an off key version of "Happy Birthday", Niya quickly ushered them into the house so they wouldn't attract any attention.

"What are y'all foolish asses doing here?" She asked after they set everything down on her kitchen island.

"It's your birthday! We wanted to do something special, and besides, we haven't done anything in a long time." N'ijah grabbed her sister's hands and swung them. It didn't take long for Niya to agree, and they changed into matching black shirts with gold print that said "I'm with the birthday girl" in cursive, with Niya wearing one that said "birthday girl" In white.

"Y'all are so sweet. I missed having fun like this, just letting loose." Niya relaxed into her spa chair, letting the nice lady paint her toes an off white.

"You deserve it, and we're not finished yet. Wait till you see what's next." N'ijah squealed.

They took her everywhere. Spa, hair salon, shopping, eating, everything. N'ijah especially spared no expensive for her older sister, as she looked up to her for everything, ever since they were little. Even though Niya was three years older, they looked like twins when they were younger and always wore matching outfits. This was just a way to get closer, as they had lost a bit of that closeness when they each got married.

"This has genuinely been one of the best days of my life. Like, ever."

"I'm glad you feel that way. But, we're still not done." Zalma said as they were being driven back to N'ijah's house. At her house, they gave Niya their most expensive present of all: a custom made dress by one of Niya's favorite designers, Valdrin Sahiti.

Niya was speechless as the pair brought out the dress and matching pair of shoes out from inside the closet

"For me?" She asked as she lightly touched the expensive material surrounding the mannequin.

"Whoever else? Sure couldn't fit me." Zalma teased, making N'ijah giggle a bit. Niya ignored both of them and just stared in awe over the magnificent dress before her.

"Go change! We wanna see you in it!" N'ijah urged her sister to go, and she happily took the dress off of the mannequin and went into the bathroom.

Sneakily, without making any noise, the pair also changed into something more elegant. N'ijah, a fitted green gown with a short train, and Zalma with a short pink dress with a train that could come off and on as she pleased.

When Niya came back out, her radiant smile made the dress look even better than it did on the mannequin.

"You look like a goddess. All hail Niya." Zalma curtsied, making the sisters laugh at her.