Seven

A/N:⚠ Trigger Warning ⚠ mentions/actions of abuse. Skip to the next chapter if needed

"Hey, Desiré. How have you been?" N'ijah said as she sighed in relief. It was just Desiré, nothing to be scared about.

"I'm great! I just wanted to talk to you, girl to girl." Desiré said. Her execution was flawless, and she could tell N'ijah was calm around her.

"Alright, come inside. It's getting cold now, especially in this area." N'ijah opened the door and waited for her to walk inside, as she was always taught to do.

"So, I came to tell you that I'm pregnant!" Desiré took off her coat, letting N'ijah see her 5 1/2 month pregnant belly on display in a tight fitting dress.

"Congratulations! You look so good. So I guess life is treating you well?" N'ijah offered her a glass of non alcoholic wine, and Desiré gladly took it.

"Very much. I wanted to, first and foremost, thank you. The loan, the home, everything. You really helped me, and I'm so grateful." Desiré smiles, seeing that N'ijah was under her thumb now.

"It was nothing, honestly. My reward is seeing you thrive with my help. It gives me joy to help people. That's my whole shtick." N'ijah blushed, happy at the praise. This was what she wanted to do, and seeing that it's already helped someone is one of the best things to happen to her.

"I'm home." Jamari burst inside, and upon seeing N'ijah and Desiré both in the living room, he froze.

"Hey, baby." N'ijah said, timidly. He gave her a light kiss and hug, and behind her back, Desiré's face was livid.

"I didn't know you brought Desiré over." He said, smiling but his teeth were gritted.

"Actually, I came on my own. And I was just leaving, isn't that right, N'ijah?" She smiled, leaving N'ijah confused by the actions of both of them. Is something going on?

"Bye." He gritted out, and left the room as soon as she closed the door. N'ijah hurried behind him, trying to figure out why he was acting like this the day he comes back.

"Why are you like this, Jamari? It's not like she did anything to you. She's a friend of mines." She said from behind the locker door. Inside, Jamari was on the phone with Desiré, silently laughing over how dumb she sounded. The plan worked, he whispered, and Desiré was happy.

Soon she'll know what it really means to be alone.

...

The day of the baby shower started out good. Everyone was there on time, except for the uncles, but everyone already knew they'd be late.

"I swear those people run on colored people time." Nyala exclaimed as she was cooking in the kitchen. She wanted her children to have a normal baby shower, so her and her sisters decided to whip out their skills and make some magic.

"Momma, it looks and smells amazing in here." N'ijah was wowed at all the things her mom got for just today.