Eight

As she started to prep for her baby boy, N'ijah began to worry that he wouldn't have a full home. Jamari wasn't home at all now, even though his stuff was still here. Every time she'd come back from something, some of his stuff was gone. He was slowly moving out, and this time, N'ijah feared, it was for good.

"Ji!" Zalma called out into the big, empty house. She rushed upstairs to find N'ijah laid inside her bed, reading a book with her glasses on.

"You're so boring." Zalma took off her shoes and jumped onto N'ijah's bed, disturbing her peace. Sighing, she placed her book down on the nightstand and glared at Zalma.

"Why is it that you came here, Zal?"

"We haven't had a girls night in so long, so tonight, it's only going to be you and I. You got this big ass house and haven't gone in at least half of the rooms." Zalma replied, going to change into something fit for the night she had planned. To tell the truth, Zalma was worried about her childhood friend. Her smile was becoming dimmer, and Zalma didn't want a repeat of what happened only months back.

"Ok, so what do you plan to do?"

"What I said. Girls night. In your movie room. We're going to pull an all nighter." Zalma came out of N'ijah's closet, talking one of her silk pajama sets and putting it on.

"And why would that be good for me? I'm pregnant. I need sleep." N'ijah countered.

"You also need fun time before the baby comes. And cmon, you haven't had fun in like forever." Pulling her off her bed, Zalma basically dragged her onto the third floor and into the movie room.

"I'm not doing this voluntarily, alright?" N'ijah relaxed back into the comfortable couch, watching Zalma disappear into the dark house

She came back with all kinds of junk food, which aren't good for anyone, but N'ijah had now decided to relax. She wanted peace, and having fun with her best friend would bring that to her, even though Zalma was definitely not peaceful.

"I'm not watching no scary shit." N'ijah warned, just as Zalma was going to choose a horror movie.

"Why? Your terrified screams make it even more enjoyable." Zalma faked poute. N'ijah grabbed a pillow and threw it at her head, promptly making the shorter woman fall back onto the couch.

"Rude." She got up, rubbing her thigh as N'ijah laughed. Seeing her beautiful smile and hearing the melodic laughter she was much more familiar with from N'ijah made Zalma's pain almost melt away. She wanted her best friend back, and if constantly being in pain was going to do it, then that's would she'd do.

...

When N'ijah woke up, Zalma was fast asleep, her loud snores rivaling the volume from the still-playing movie screen. Carefully walking over her, N'ijah covered her snoring self and crept down stairs.

Going into the kitchen, N'ijah decided to make breakfast for her, to thank her for the tremendous fun she had had last night. N'ijah was happy she got to spend time with her best friend, and wanted to return the favor. So, she decided to make crepes from scratch.

Getting focused with all of the preparation made Jamari's steps from behind her unnoticed. So when he grabbed her from behind, N'ijah almost stabbed his eye out.

"What the fuck?" N'ijah exclaimed, setting the knife down on the counter and moving away from him.

"I came to surprise you. Aren't you happy to see me?" Jamari said, clearly intoxicated. N'ijah tried to move away from him, but he pinned her back to the counter.

"I'm sorry. I really am." He whispered into her ear, the stench of booze still fresh on his breath. A different kind of perfume was hanging around him today, and it made N'ijah want to gag.

"Ok, ok. Could you go wash up, now? Zalma's over." She rapidly whispered back, trying to go back to cooking. Once she turned around, he knew that she wasn't going to talk to him anymore, so be begrudgingly went upstairs. As she felt him leave, a sigh of relief came out of her.

Zalma came down not too long after, when N'ijah had finally finished the crepes and set them down for her.

"You did this for me? You're the absolute best, you know what?" Zalma cooed. Immediately, she ravaged the crepes, not even going up for air.

"Jamari's back." Zalma said, wanting to see her reaction, and her theory was correct, watching N'ijah's body freeze up. "Ji, did he do something to you?" She whispered, trying to get N'ijah to open up.

"I think you've stayed past your welcome." Jamari's loud, intimidating voice boomed out from outside the kitchen door.

"She can stay, Jamari. It's not your decision." N'ijah retorted, getting fed up about how he was treating her and Zalma.

"But it is my house, and I can have her thrown off the property." N'ijah didn't have to turn around to know that he had a smug expression on his face; she could hear it in the bastard's voice.

"But it isn't under your name, thus making it not your house. It's under mine's, remember? You didn't want a house under your name, so I put it under my maiden name, meaning you have no connection to this house. At all." N'ijah whipped around to see Jamari's face, furious about her words to him in front of her friends, making him look like a fool.

"You do not get to talk to me like that."

"When you haven't been here for months at a time, I can. When you pay no attention to me and wear other women's perfume home, I can. I hope you don't think I don't know," She whispered into his ear, and all he can do was stand there. "There only reason I'm still here for my baby. That's it." She lied. Even with all the things he had done to her, she still loved him. He was her first love, and that would never change.

Jamari stormed away, and Zalma looked both awed and worried.

"You better be careful. Who knows what he'll do when I'm gone." Zalma worriedly told her.

"Oh, I know. That's why I have someone I need to call."

.

.

.

Hey y'all 😏
Sorry for the short filler chapter, I just need one to push the story along

Something very good is going to happen soon.... What do you think it'll be?

Again, there is a risk that Wattpad might delete my stories, so follow me on Inkitt at @mikatheewriter!

Please vote, comment, and share my stories! It really means a lot to me and helps me grow! 💓

Xoxo, Baddie 💖