Three

"Girl, you look good!" Zalma embraced N'ijah. Zalma had just flown down with her newlywed husband, and was extremely excited to see N'ijah again.

"FaceTiming is not the same as seeing you in person. You're even more beautiful than the last time I saw you. And you got even thicker. Marriage looks good on you sis." N'ijah held her hands and fiddled with the large diamond ring on her left hand.

"And same to you. When I left, you were still dating some nobody. Now, you're the wife of a multi-billionaire! You always had good taste." Zalma teased, and they laughed together.

"It's really good to see you again. It's been way too long."

"It has. Well, I'm here now. I'm staying this time. Now there's no excuse to ditch me." Zalma said. N'ijah feigned shock, but she knew that sometimes she just..ditched people. It was a habit of hers she was trying to break. Especially now.

"Ok, I gotta go now. I need to get settled into my new house. I'll see you then, ok? Remember: it starts at 8. Come at 9:30." And, blowing a kiss, Zalma left.

...

Things in the Ellison household had...changed, to say the least. There was more talking, certainly, but the love had shifted, and N'ijah was worried.

Suddenly, Jamari had to go to work more. No problem, his job was demanding, and she knew first hand how it could get crazy if he wasn't there. Then, Desiré was leaving more. Her left leg wasn't fully healed, but it was getting better, and she could walk around with little to no pain.
N'ijah saw her getting things very close to what she had in her personal closet, and just said that she might finally moving on to someone new, with money.

N'ijah didn't want to jump to conclusions, as she never found a reason for him to lie to her, and for Desiré to betray her. So, she let it go, but still she had a feeling  that something was going to go very wrong, very soon.

That came in the form of her mother and father coming over for dinner.

The Ellison's usually had their in laws come over, but this time it was different. This time, it was unplanned, unwarranted, and worst of all- they brought more people.

They were hosting a dinner party at their daughter's house with no warning.

At least they had a seperate dining room they never used. It could hold the other 6 people her parents brought, albeit a little tight.

"Ah, this is wonderful

"Ah, this is wonderful. You guys really are great socialites." A lady said from across the table, and everyone agreed. By the time everyone chose their seats and started talking, the catering had came.

Just in time, N'ijah thought, or I'd be the ridicule of the entire "socialite" community.

The dinner party dragged on, with meaningless conversations and opinions. Soon enough, her mother pulled her away for a private conversation. Jamari didn't even notice, because he was stuck on his phone, rapidly texting someone.