Chapter 26

Almost a week has passed since I had my meltdown in Alexa's old room. My maids had a fit when they found me there and kept me on close watch. I haven't seen Daxton since he told Alexa she was eliminated. He's tried to see me but I kept turning him down. But Rose has come by a couple more times, though. I have finally been fever free for a whole day and I'm allowed to roam the palace now. I am so sick of my walls. I'm going to change the color ASAP. Probably like a blue or lime green. Anyway, my maids have put me in a a dress that has white lace at the top and is aquamarine at the bottom. My hair is done in curls and my makeup is light.

I'm ready early so I decided to walk around until it's time for breakfast. I find myself on the first floor where I first came in. I marvel at the chandlier directly above me and the beautiful pieces of art on the walls. I'm admiring a piece that looks like the king and queen, a younger Daxton, and a baby Rose when someone bumps into me.

"Sorry," says a very, very familiar voice.

"It's fine," I turn around and freeze.

"You're seeing things. You're delusional. You've finally lost it, Camry," I say to myself because what is see before cannot be real. It has to be fake. Alexa Scarlett stands in front of me. No makeup. No dress. She's in sweats and her blonde hair is up in a pony tail.

"Camry?" the illusion says.

"Now the hallucination's talking," I mutter. "I need to see doctor."

"Camry, I'm not a hallucination. I'm really here," she says.

"Really?"

"Yes," she nods. I have to stop myself from screaming. I hug her and squeeze her as tight as I can. I almost start crying.

"Miss, this way," a guard says.

"Walk with me," she suggests. So I do.

As we walk, I can't stop looking at her. She's here! She's back! I am going to tie her to me so she can never leave again. Finally, we stop in front of a door.

"Your room," the guard bows and leaves.

We go inside and she all but collapses on the bed.

"So why are you here?" I wonder.

"I'm engaged!" she shrieks and holds out her hand. On it is a golden ring with a diamond on it. My mouth hangs open. I quickly smile but then my face contorts in confusion.

"That's wonderful but that doesn't explain why you're here. If you're engaged, why are you back at the castle?" I wonder.

"Camry, for someone who's obviously very smart...you aren't so smart," she says.

"Hey," I playfully hit her arm. "If I'm so dumb, would you be gracious and explain it to me?"

"Of course. I'm engaged to James," she says.

"For a second there, I thought you said James," I say.

"I did."

"You love James? Since when?"

"Since the food fight," she says, studying the carpet.

"That was like the second day," I laugh.

"What floor are we on?" I wonder.

"The fifth," she says.

"Your room is on the fifth floor?" I ask with wide eyes.

"I'm engaged to royalty," she shrugs.

"Na-uh. He's not a duke yet," I say and she rolls her eyes.

"Close enough."

"Does that mean you're going to be a duchess?" I ask.