How Could You?

'Niall's POV'

"You were my best friend Niall! My brother!"

Riley whispered yelled from her seat across from me at an old diner we were at for lunch.

"Ri, please let me exp-"

"No!"

She slammed her hands down on the table and caused the old couple in the corner booth, who has been watching us since we got here, to look up from they're plates and stare at us more.

"Riley, please, let's go back home and let me explain everything to you"

"Niall, you don't understand do you? If you agree to do what they always tell you to do, you aren't going to make it much longer, do the guys know about this?"

I reluctantly nodded my head, knowing she hates being the last to know something between all of us. I couldn't look at her, not knowing she was about to break down in tears. I can hear it in her voice.

I got up from my seat and pushed her over into the booth so I could sit with her and pulled her into a side ways hug.

"Get off of me, don't want the paps to see us being too close to each other"

She said with hurt and anger laced with every word.

"Don't be like this Ri, please. I hate seeing you like this, can we go home now? We can talk about it later"

She sighed then pushed me away from her. My heart instantly sank to my stomach knowing I caused my best friend, my sister, to cry.

"Just..just go Niall, I'll be home later. I need time to think about this"

She said as she wiped tears off her cheeks.

"Can I at least have a hug?"

I asked standing up with my arms out.

She got up slowly, still not looking at me, and pressed her body to mine and I wrapped my arms around her tightly. I rested my chin on her head as I looked around the small diner trying to focus on anything but crying.

And I sure was glad that the couple in the back and us, plus the employees were the only ones here, there wasn't even any paps or fans outside.

"I'll see you at home then, yeah?" I asked her as she pulled away from her. All she did was nod her head and sit back down wrapping her small hands around her coffee mug.

'Riley's POV'

"Miss?"

I was pulled out of my depressing thoughts as I heard an elderly voice say something beside me. I looked up to see who was there and found the older woman of the corner booth standing beside me.

"Y-yes?" I croaked out, not trusting my voice at the moment.

"Are you alright sweetie?"

She asked with a small smile on her face.

"I couldn't help but notice you and your boyfriend? I'm assuming, over here fighting"

I laughed a little at how she thought we were dating.

"No, he's not my boyfriend ma'am, he's been my best friend since we were little though"

I smiled again thinking about the good times we had.

"Do you mind if I sit down?" She asked

"No, go ahead ma'am"

"I know I'm old sweetie, but you don't have to call me ma'am, call me Jane!" Jane laughed as she sat in the booth across from me.