Chapter LX

Zaheer was dead. That was the talk of the town and probably will be for the weeks to come.

The belt ran around her waist as liquid rock, the sort of grey that had was infused with the colours of brighter days. She buckled it up tight, squeezing the grey material closer to her skin. Brushing away the stray hairs on her uniform, she flicked the golden aiguillettes that were around her shoulder. She neatly folded the cloth covering, tucking it into her front pocket. It wasn't hers.

The woman smiled and her reflection in the mirror flashed it back. She looked smart with her hair up like this, plus with the uniform. It suited her. Her gloved hand picked up the badge where she gently fitted it onto her front pocket. She had requested a badge like this, not like how the others have their ranks sewn into the arms of the coat. It looked somewhat better, more professional in her eyes. With another look at herself in the mirror, she was finally pleased with her attire.
"Don't you look dashing in grey?"

The woman turned away from the mirror and to the voice that had just entered her quarters.
"Morning Kai." She greeted with a small chuckle.
"Where's yours?"

Kai rose a brow and stepped further in. He looked down to his feet and gestured to his clothes.
"I'm not really fond of uniforms like that, this will do me just fine." His uniform wasn't at all proper like the woman's was, it only consisted of a vest where a badge was pricked onto the front pocket. His trousers were tight, a jet black that was held up by a similar belt to the woman's.
"Besides, I'm a blacksmith. Why would I need a uniform if I'd just get it filthy all the time?"

"I suppose you have a point." She replied.
"How is it by the way? The workshop?"

"It's a lot bigger than I imagined, I have all the space in the world." Kai explained.
"It also doesn't get as hot, so I think you'll be able to stand in there for over 10 minutes."

He was given a job when everything was over, Hiroshi had a workshop set up for him and he was teaching the younger man everything he knew. From making different parts for weapons to the simple stuff like screws and bolts. Life was a lot better.
"That's good to hear." The woman said, smiling weakly at her friend. She wandered towards the window, brows furrowing as she opened it. The room was met with smokey air, an awful smell filling their noses.
"It's not as bad today."

Kai coughed, feeling as if a pile of ashes had hit the back of his throat.
"The fire only stopped a few days ago, It'll take a while for this to settle down."

Smoke twirled skyward as if the wisps were dance partners of ancient myth. The smoke smell was a kind of particulate sewage, that feeling of pollution in the lungs; it made the whole town cough. Her green eyes gazed outwards passed the town landing on the forest that was barely visible. A sigh escaped her lips.
"Do you think she made it out?"

Kai paused, following her gaze.
"I don't know Kuvira." He said in a saddened tone.
"The fire almost lasted a week. It would be a miracle if she did."

She could remember all of it, the way Korra slammed that god damn hatch on them. The way Kai tugged her away until the hatch burst into flame. God sake, she's gone isn't she? Kuvira blamed Zaheer on all of this, oh how she wished to drag him out of that fire so she could only throw him back in it again and again.

He had ruined everything, even doomed his own industry. Grief, that's what everyone in this town felt. The mourning was irritating. How could these people mourn over someone they hated just a few moments before they were gone? They didn't know Korra, not like she did.

The town had changed, everyone's minds were flipped into a different perspective after the fire. When they finally reached the Manor that day, they were praised. Applauded. Finally given respect.