Chapter XLV

Mako knew that this assassin would be quick, but not this quick. he could barely keep up with her attacks at all. He blocked a swing from the assassin and pushed her back successfully, giving him a few seconds to atleast catch his breath back. He swiped his bloody nose in the process, staining his uniform sleeve a crimson red. They had been at this for a while and he was starting to wonder where the Captain was with backup.

Kuvira lunged forward again, hoping that one of her punches would connect to the side of his head. None of them did. Panic controlled her actions at this moment in time, she didn't know how long she had left until more guards arrived. This was taking to long. She was thinking about what to do if they eventually did arrive, she couldn't stay. What if she was captured with Korra? How would that make Korra look? She would be killed on the spot that's for sure if they knew that Kuvira was with her. Working with her.
"You're under arrest for protecting a wanted criminal." Mako demanded, blocking another strike.

"You have Korra pegged wrong." Kuvira growled.
"She isn't a criminal."

Mako sneered at the assassin, throwing punches of his own which Kuvira easily blocked.
"She's wanted for attempting to murder Hiroshi Sato!"

"Yet she saved Miss Sato's life today. She's a changed woman." She replied, ducking under a kick.
"If it wasn't for Korra, you would've failed as a guard!"

The Corporal managed to clip the assassin's shoulder with his knuckle.
"That's absurd! I'm protecting Miss Sato!"

"Then stop attacking us when you should be retraining them!" She said and gestured to the men on the floor behind them.

"I don't trust any of you!" Mako responded.
"You're all part of the same guild!"

"Korra and I left the Guild."
Kuvira groaned in frustration as one of her kicks was dodged again, this whole situation was a waste of time.
"We are on your side!"

"And what makes you think I should believe that?" Mako spat.

As her frustration grew, it lead to a flaw appearing. She left her right side open due to her stance. Mako saw this immediately and swung a punch to her left. He knew she would block it, and she did. Mako raised his leg and collided it into her ribs to her right, making her tumble onto the floor.
"Give up assassin."

Kuvira coughed and flipped herself back onto her feet.
"That was a good strike." She complimented jokingly before leaping towards the Corporal again. He stepped to the side as she moved forwards, kneeing her stomach in the process. A wheeze escaped from her lungs and Mako pushed her to the floor again.
"That one too." She said faintly, gasping for more air to fill her winded lungs.

"I'm holding you under arrest." Mako stated as he reached down to restrain her hands. However, Kuvira waited for him to get closer. Once he did, she swiped his ankles with her leg. The assassin quickly moved over him and held his hands down against the cobble floor. She needed to get this over with and fast. She raised her hand and swiped at the back of the Corporal's head, he was out cold. Finally.

"Hold it right there!"

Seriously?
Kuvira cursed under her breath as she heard the running of feet behind her. Looks like back up had arrived. She quickly got to her feet and gave her unconscious friend a glance. She couldn't leave her here, but she had to. The guards were gaining onto her, she had to make a choice quickly. Each beat of her heart was in sync with the footfall of the guards against the cobble ground. There was at least 10 of them after her, that was too much. She wouldn't even be able to protect herself, let alone Korra as well.

Kuvira inhaled a sharp breath and sprinted down the alley and out of sight, leaving Korra behind.

Captain Beifong ordered a few guards to follow the getaway woman, they did as they ordered. She knelt down to the Corporal on the floor and flipped him over, letting out a sigh of relief to see that his chest was rising. He was alive.
"Lin."