Chapter XLIV

Korra didn't know how long she could keep this up. It was two against one and she was gradually getting slower and slower as they kept attacking her. Their blades slicing towards her, tearing at her clothes as she dodges to the best of her ability. If she took them one on one, that would've been easy. But these two were working together.

"Just listen!" She cried, stepping back. A gasp escaped her lips as the blade swooped past her face, grazing the tip of her nose.

Desna landed a hard punch to her side, one that she wasn't expecting. The air shot out of her lungs like whiskey out of a shot glass. Her knees bent against her will but she still managed to block the incoming strike with her left forearm. She blindly reached over to where her dagger was but it was a little too far away than expected. Korra was left unarmed... helpless on her knees.

Shady Shin took a step forward to the beaten assassin in front of him, landing a powerful kick to her cheek. Korra yelped as she flew onto her back. She had lost. She was beaten. Her arms were weak and bruised, her head was spinning like a carousel. She couldn't move, only letting her eyes trail up to meet the pair that were staring down at her. There was nothing she could do now, she had failed. Failed her duty, failed the Satos. Failed Asami.

"I can't help but feel a little disappointed." He said, taking Desna's dagger into his hands. Korra tried her best to kick the man back, but her muscles wouldn't allow her to. The kick was soft and easily pushed aside.
"You've become weak."

The small assassin squirmed around on the floor, shuffling backwards everytime the two took a step closer.
"You both are working for a falsifier." She grunted and swung her leg again in a frail kick.

Desna nudged her attack away with ease.
"And what do you know Korra?You're a traitor."

Korra's head jerked back from Desna's punch and she tasted that familiar copper tang in her mouth. She shuffled backwards more, her hand grazing against a steel blade.
"Zaheer is the traitor." She croaked, letting her fingers grip around her dagger. She hadn't failed just yet.

Shady Shin shook his head and readied himself, clenching his fists as he threw another punch into Korra's direction. The smaller assassin used all of her strength to block the attack with her forearm, swfitly jabbing her blade into his leg. Shady Shin jolted backwards as the steel dagger sunk into his thigh, letting the red liquid dribble down his leg like a river.

Korra stumbled to her feet again, standing in a sloppy stance as she beckoned at Desna. Her stance didn't last long, all it took was one little punch and she fell to the floor again; limbs bruised even more and hurting. Shady Shin backed off for a moment, screaming as he tried to remove the blade from within his leg; it wasn't really working out for him at all.

"That was an impressive trick, but also irresponsible." Desna said as he stepped closer, however something else caught his eye before he could take another step.

"Heads up blue eyes."
Kuvira leapt from off the cobble floor, using the momentum from her sprint to bounce off the wall of the alley. She spun herself around, planting the sole of her boot against Desna's cheek. The man toppled to the floor, clutching his face in agony.

She turned to Korra, quickly offering her a hand.
"Kuvira?" She mumbled under her breath. Her eyes staring into the pair of the taller woman's. Her green eyes were like they had been frozen over like the surface of a winter puddle, robbing them of their usual warmth. However, there was a sense of guilt bonded with the begging of forgiveness; brows were knitted together in worry. All these emotions were plastered on her face, Korra didn't even know where to look.

Korra clasped her hand into Kuvira's, heaving herself up onto her feet. What was she doing here? Was this one big display?

Kuvira readied herself into a stance as Desna and Shady Shin composed themselves. It wasn't over yet.
"Miss Sato is safe. Let's get these off our backs shall we?"
Korra could only nod.