ONE

(Returning Home)

(Returning Home)

•••

"SHE JUST TRIPPED ON THE SIDEWALK."

"Dang it! I was hoping she would fall." Eric Matthew's huffs in disappointment as he stares at his sister. She was currently struggling to drag her suitcase up their driveway. Her family was waiting by the door with anticipation as she took her sweet time to reach them. She kept her eyes on the ground as she struggled to drag her suitcase towards them. It seemed like every rock or pebble seemed to get stuck in the wheels of her suitcase.

"Could she walk any slower?" Shawn muttered impatiently as they all watched her continue to walk towards them. Shawn felt a heavy feeling in his chest as the familiar brunette girls gaze moved from the concrete and landed directly on him. Shawn was surrounded by all of her family members and yet her eyes instantly went to him. He ran a hand through his hair as he tried to ignore the feeling in his chest as he stared at her. Something about her had changed since the last time he had seen her. He couldn't seem to remove his eyes from her. His thoughts were interrupted by the squealing noise of Mrs. Matthew's as she engulfed her daughter in a tight hug.

"I missed you guys so much!" Lucy yelled in an excited tone. "Well we didn't miss you." Eric replies sarcastically causing his dad to elbow him in the stomach. Eric groaned as his sister engulfed him in a hug. Eric awkwardly patted her back before she quickly pulled away. Shawn watched as she hugged her dad, Morgan and then Cory. Shawn felt himself take a deep breath as Lucy's eyes landed on him. "Saved the best for last." Lucy whispers playfully as she wraps her arms around the boy. Shawn could practically hear his heart beating at an unsteady pace as he felt Lucy squeeze him.

"Lucy......I can't breathe." Shawn whispered as the girl squeezed his windpipe. "Sorry..." Lucy mumbled nervously as she quickly pulled away from him. "She was only gone for the summer can we all calm down!" Eric yells dramatically as he walks back inside. "I didn't miss you!" Lucy yells loudly at her brother. "Well I missed you but my twin telepathy helped me send you messages.... did you receive them?" Cory asks her in an excited tone. Lucy gives Shawn a concerned look as she holds back laughter. "Of course I got your messages." Lucy reassures him in a confused tone. "Let's head inside... I made your favorite dinner." Mrs. Matthew's tells her daughter.

They all head inside as Shawn grabs Lucy's suitcase and carries it inside. Everybody heads into the kitchen leaving Shawn, Cory and Lucy alone. "The trio is back!" Cory yells in an excited tone. Lucy laughs as she smiles at the two boys. She notices how cute Shawn looked as he ran a hand through his perfect hair. She tried to push away her feelings for him over the summer but the moment she saw him waiting for her to get home the feelings came flooding back. "You've changed since the last time we saw you." Shawn mumbles as he looks her up and down. "Yeah did you do something with your hair." Cory asks her sharply as he gets closer to her face. She pushes his face backwards as she feels uncomfortable with Shawn staring at her.

"Cory hand me my glasses." Shawn tells his best friend as he extends his hand over to Cory. "Shawn...you don't wear glasses." Cory replied in disbelief. "She hit puberty....get over it Hunter!" Eric yelled as he teased the other boy. Shawns eyes widened as he quickly looked away from Lucy. It hit him that her body had changed since the last time he had seen her. She had grown out of her baby face and her hips and chest had grown bigger. Lucy was very confused as Shawn was overwhelmed by the realization.

"You're a girl!" Shawn yelled in disbelief. Lucy's mouth fell open as she shoved his arm backwards. "Last time I've checked.... I've been a girl since I was born." Lucy replies sharply. She scoffs in disbelief as she pushes past the boy into the kitchen. "No.... I know what you are about to say and my answer is no!" Cory yelled at his best friend. "She's hot." Shawn whispered in a dreamy tone as he nudges Cory's arm. Cory pretends to throw up as he falls onto the couch. "No... no... and last but not least no. She's my sister...so keep your stupid love powers off of her." Cory yelled angrily at Shawn.

"I know Cory but look at her..." Shawn whispered dramatically as he turned Corys head towards the kitchen. Lucy was sitting at the table laughing at something Morgan was saying to her. Shawn smiled at the sight of her. Cory shook his head angrily as he stared at his friend who had a stupid smile stuck on his face.
"Shawn you're my best friend you are not allowed to date my sister." Cory tells him sharply. "Fine but I can't stop her for falling for me and I can't turn off my babe magnet." Shawn says in a flirtatious tone. "Well turn the magnet off when your around her." Cory orders him. "I can't control it...... it just happens." Shawn replies innocently.

"It's our first year of high school..... there will be plenty of girls at school for you to date." Cory tells Shawn in a hopeful tone. "Yeah...... yeah." Shawns voice trails off as he continues to stare at Lucy in the kitchen. Lucy turned her attention to the family room and her eyes landed on Shawn and Cory. They both quickly turned their heads away from her as Shawn muttered curse words. Lucy smiled as she shook her head. She missed them over the summer and she hated to admit it but her heart truly missed Shawn. "You still have a crush on Shawn don't you?" Mrs. Matthew's whispered softly as she sat down beside her daughter. "Is it that obvious?" Lucy replied nervously. "Only to me but that's because I'm your mother." Mrs. Matthew's replies softly as she pulls her daughter in for a hug. Lucy glanced back into the other rooming causing her eyes to lock with Shawns for a split second before he quickly looked away. Lucy felt her stomach flip over as she stared at the ground. She hated the way Shawn Hunter made her feel.

______________________________
Shawn do be staring tho 👀😂