THIRTY SEVEN

(The Fireworks)

(The Fireworks)

•••

"I CAN BEAT YOU AT ANY GAME!"

Lucy shoved cotton candy into her mouth as Shawn tightly held onto her other hand. They walked through the carnival looking at all of the games as they waited for it to get dark. Lucy could practically hear the sound of her heart beating as she could feel Shawns hand holding hers. She looked over at him causing her to take in a deep breath. He was looking at all of the rides as his jaw line was visibly on display. Two pieces of his hair were slightly covering his eyes causing him to run a hand through his hair. Lucy forced herself to look away from him as she continued to eat her candy. "Do you want to play one of those games?" Shawn asks her curiously as he gestures to the carnival booths. "We can... but I hope you know that whatever we do play... I will beat you." Lucy replies jokingly as she turns to look at him. A smirk forms on Shawns face as his eyes lock with her eyes. Before Lucy can react Shawn leans over and licks something off of her cheek. "What the hell?" Lucy asks him as she wipes his spit off of her face. He laughed as she pushed him away from her. "You had cotton candy on your cheek." Shawn replies flirtatiously as he shrugs. "A normal person would have given me a napkin or told me to wipe it away!" Lucy yells in disbelief.

"I'm not like most people." Shawn replies in a cocky tone. Lucy rolls her eyes as she walks towards one of the booths. Shawn quickly follows after her. "You want me to win you a stuffed animal or something?" Shawn asks her softly. "I don't need you to win me anything." Lucy replies back sharply as she takes a step closer to him. Shawn was now towering over her as they could both sense the tension between them. "I think you do need me to win a game for you." Shawn says in a taunting tone. Lucy scoffs as she breaks eye contact with him walks away. Shawn sighs as Lucy walks up to a booth that had balloons all across a wall. Lucy hands the man at the booth money and he hands her three darts. Shawn crosses his arms as he waits to see how Lucy does. Lucy tries to prepare herself for throwing a dart but Shawn distracts her. "I can help you." Shawn offers. "I got this." She replies back sharply. She throws the first dart directly at the middle causing it to pop a balloon. Shawns eyes widen as he watches her pick up her next dart. She hits another balloon and then grabs another dart. She hits the last balloon and the man hands her a big brown stuffed bear. "Here you go." Lucy says in a sassy tone as she hands Shawn the stuffed bear.

Shawn can't even form words as he watches her walk past him and over to another booth. Shawn nervously swallowed as he looked over at her. He didn't know why she was being like this but he thought it was extremely hot. He followed after her still carrying the bear. "I was wrong... you obviously don't need my help." Shawn tells her softly. "You're just saying that because you know I'm better at these games then you." Lucy says jokingly hoping to make him mad. Shawn tightens his jaw as he looks down at her. "Hold my bear." Shawn says as he hands her the huge stuffed bear. Lucy laughs as he walks over to the balloon game. "You suck!" Lucy yells as Shawn gets ready to throw a dart. "Will you give me a good luck kiss?" Shawn asks her flirtatiously. She flips him off causing him to raise his eyebrows at her.

He puts his attention back on the balloons but an idea pops in his mind. He turns away from the balloons causing his eye to lock with Lucy's. Without looking away from Lucy he throws the dart without looking. The sound of a balloon popping caused a smirk to form on Shawns face. Lucy shook her head in annoyance as Shawn picked up another dart. He dramatically put a hand over his eyes and then threw another dart. The sound of another balloon popping causing Lucy to scoff in disbelief. "You were looking." Lucy yells dramatically. "Was i?" Shawn replies back sarcastically as he takes a step closer to her. Shawns eyes flickered to her lips sending butterflies to Lucy's stomach. "Throw the last dart kid!" The guy working the booth yelled angrily. Shawn awkwardly laughed as he threw the last dart and hit another balloon. The guy handed him a pink teddy bear. "Here you go babe." Shawn says playfully as he hands Lucy the stuffed animal.

Lucy grabs the stuffed bear as she hands Shawn his bear. "I don't want this bear... you won it just so you could show me that you are better than me." Lucy mumbles as she looks down at the bear. "But it's so cute." Shawn says in a soft tone as he grabs her bear and hugs it tightly. Lucy feels her heart flutter at how cute Shawn was. She knew he always acted like he was tough but she loved when he showed his soft side around her. "And I'm not better than you... just better at games than you." Shawn teases her. She grabs his brown bear from him and hits him over the head with it. "Don't hurt him!" Shawn yells defensively as he grabs the bear from her. Lucy shakes her head at him as she starts laughing. Shawn smiles as he starts laughing with her. "Let's go find a good spot to sit at before the fireworks start." Shawn says as he wraps his arm around Lucy. She nods her head as Shawn leads her around the carnival. Shawn leads her towards the Ferris wheel. He hands the man working the Ferris wheel some money as he gestures for Lucy to get on. Lucy sets the bears on the ground as she walks closer to Shawn.

"Are you serious?" Lucy asks him curiously. "Best seat in the house." Shawn replies in a gentle tone as he sits down. Lucy sits next to him causing her body to be very close to Shawns. The man starts the Ferris wheel and stops it when they reach the top. The noise of the fireworks starting caused them both to look up at the sky. Fireworks lit the sky causing Lucy to smile. Shawn wanted to watch the fireworks but his attention was focused on something else. He couldn't look away from Lucy as she watched the fireworks in amazement. He loved the way her face lit up in excitement and how she would close her eyes during the very loud fireworks that made too much noise. Shawn wanted to kiss her so desperately in that moment. "Did you see that huge one?" Lucy asks him as she turns to look at him. Her eyes locked with his and Lucy felt her heart stop. Shawn wasted no time as he slammed his lips onto hers. Lucy was caught off guard but she immediately kissed him back. Lucy could hear the fireworks in the distance but she was focused on how good Shawns lips felt against hers. Shawn placed his hands on her cheeks as he deepened the kiss. Shawn felt a weird feeling in his stomach as he kissed her and he felt like his skin was on fire.

Lucy slowly pulled away from him to catch her breath. She opened her eyes slowly as she felt her face get very hot. Shawn opened his eyes as he nervously looked down at his hands. "I Uh...." Shawn begins to say but then his mind thinks about Cory. His best friend. This was Lucy... Lucy Mathews... his best friends sister... and he just kissed her with so much passion... and he wanted her more than anything in his life... but he knew he couldn't want her... Cory told him not to date his sister...he didn't want to ruin Lucy's relationship with her brother. When Shawn opened his mouth to speak he wanted to smack himself in the face. "I... we can't do this to Cory..." Shawn whispers weakly as he looks up at Lucy. Lucy felt like the wind got knocked out of her as she felt her throat close up. "Uh yeah.. you are right..." Lucy choked out as she felt pain in her chest. They watched the rest of the fireworks in awkward silence. Shawn kept looking over at Lucy hoping she would say something to him but she wouldn't even look at him.

___________________________
😤 ugh just get together already omg!! 🙁