5 - What didn't happen

What Cedric was staring up at was a sweet, brown haired girl wearing a white tennis skirt from middle school, white converse, and a pastel yellow crew neck. For whatever reason, Louise was a breath of fresh air, considering the generic life he's lived and is supposed to live all his life.

"Why I feel quite underdressed considering the stunning girl I'm looking at." Cedric complimented, Louise blushed looking down at her shoes.

"Thank you, should we get started?" Louise asked, planning on saying as little as possible, scared of saying something stupid.

"Yes I was thinking we could start with the easy stuff." Cedric replied while he looked down at the workload in front of him.

"Oh I thought we could do the hard stuff so then it can be out of the way."

"And you claim you're average in classes and intellect?" Cedric questioned, making the blush on Louise's face be more abundant.

Back in California, Louise was more of a late bloomer. She always felt awkward with guys and didn't have the confidence to speak to them. But with Cedric, she felt like she didn't have to lift a finger to make him smile. After about five minutes of working on the Defense against the dark arts work, Louise decided to ask about London and Cedric's family.

"Trust me both are the most boring subjects ever, I'd rather talk about you. How'd you get such a long name."

Right off the bat Louise felt a sick feeling, for even her own name had to be centered around politics. Next time you see Ms.Weston ask her to make a legal change.

"Well essentially there's this muggle book called to kill a mockingbird. And both my parents are muggles, my father the mayor of our town. But convinently, he saw my birth as a way to attract more voters. You see people thought that he didn't care enough about rape victims, so in an effort to change this perception, he named me after Mayella from the book, who was raped by her father, but was a big time racist." Louise explained quickly, hoping it didn't confuse Cedric.

"Oh that's quite a shame because it really is a beautiful name you have." Cedric said as he brushed a piece of Louise's hair behind her ear.

"Thanks that means a lot. What about your name, i've never heard of yours before."

"It's some biblical thing I think, my father just wanted to be different I suppose. Now I need you to tell me everything about America, I've heard it's wonderful." An engaged Cedric inquired.

"That's pretty subjective, the nature definitely is, especially this one cliff where it feels as if nobody's been there and you can just scream as loud as you want. But enough about me, you're probably bored."

"Not at all, in fact now I have a book for me to read, for muggle studies of course."

So till 10:30 the couple sat and chatted away about simple things, but while Louise paid attention to the things Cedric said, the latter paid attention to the formers looks, admiring it all.

"So are you excited for the upcoming quidditch season?" Louise asked, knowing that Cedric was the seeker.

"Well every since I was a boy I'd play it but the tension that Wood creates is terrible. I mean to be fair he's one of the best I've seen besides Potter, but the toxicity is grueling."

"Isn't Wood on the gryffindor team?" Louise asked, remembering faintly of the boy who tried to kill her whilst running.

"Yeah I hope the next game in a couple of months will earn hufflepuff a win, considering he just broke up with his girlfriend."

Taking in this new information, Louise sympathized for the quidditch players, for they all hoped terrible things to happen in the hopes it'll throw off their game the next day.

Once at the bottom of the stairs to the door of the hufflepuff common room, both Cedric and Louise were confronted by the mermaid, guarding the room.

"What is one act of kindness that you performed today?" She asked.

This was probably Louise's favorite part about the hufflepuffs, the fact that they had to be kind to others and if not they couldn't enter the room. And if that wasn't enough the mermaid had the ability to tell whether your lie or not, making the challenge even harder.

"I picked up a piece of litter." Cedric declared proudly.

"I signed three petitions to allow undocumented immigrants refuge in America, another advocating for trans rights, and one to fire the police officer who killed Rodney King." Louise said, making sure the mermaid would allow entrance.

Walking into the room, Cedric shyly said, "wow Kadid you're making me look like a slacker." This filled Louise with bundles of pride, knowing that she was improving the world and impressing a boy simultaneously.

Over the past few hours, Louise had certainly picked up that Cedric was attracted to her, whether it be his "accidental" touching, or the flirty comments made. But as Cedric walked Louise to her dorm, she leaned in for a kiss that was never given, embarrassment and shame coursing through her veins.

"Erm goodnight, Louise." Cedric said hastily, rushing to the boys dormitories.

"Yeah you too." She replied weakly.

Compared to the time when Louise had made all her hair go away with a messed up spell in 7th grade in front of her crush, this was ten times worse, for Louise felt like a total and absolute fool.