✞【Prologue】✞

Art Credit To: gisellephants on DeviantArt

TW for: Intrusive thoughts and self depreciation

Nagito's POV

A wake, that's the first time I saw her.

We stood across the room, yet nothing but regret and sadness hung in the air. It loomed over her shoulder, and it clung to mine. It was upsetting and discouraging, no matter how little I knew the girl.

She caught my gaze with hers, dull (color) eyes staring right into mine. Her gaze was piercing, if not captivating. She narrowed her eyes, leaning in and whispering something to the tall man next to her, motioning towards me as she spoke.

Upon the news, the man seemed aggravated by the girl. He grabbed a fistful of her (color) hair, yanking on it for a moment. His stern eyes scanned the room, landing on me once again. He was much more angry and spiteful than she was, and scoffed as he avoided my eyes.

He left go of the girls hair, she smoothed it out before returning her attention straight-forward. Her eyes were still dull, a twinge of fear seen in her posture. Her hands clasped in front of her attire, standing straight up and turning her attention. As much as she seemed bothered by the tall man's actions, she didn't retaliate or fight.

"Hey boy, sit down!" I turned my head away from the two, facing a man behind me. He stood in front of the casket, a podium separating us. He nodded his head sternly, gesturing towards an open seat in the front row.

I took my place, sitting between a crying woman and crying children. The sadness plagued them, and made me feel pity for them both. It would of course be upsetting, but neither entity showed signs of lightening any time soon.

Maybe it was because I had not known the woman, or perhaps it was because of my own apathy. I was below all of them, and felt as if my own tears would be unaccepted. I didn't waste a breath on the deceased, and yet I still felt guilt for myself.

I came out of my sorry little self as I heard a soft and feminine voice, for being gentle it broke through and silenced the sobs and wails that filled the room. She seemed stern, not budging or continuing until all of the cries stopped.

"I greet you all at the (L/N) Funeral Home on this sorrowful day. I grieve with you all, for the loss of Saki Mizushima is unfortunate and depressing. She was a refined woman, an astounding wife, a nurturing mother, and a charming grandmother. We speak in her honor, and allow Ryūnosuke (L/N) to speak grace. Thank you..."

She stood from the podium, and the tall man from earlier took her position, the girl's shoes clicked on the ground as she walked. Her speech was kind, if not recited from memory. As much as she seemed poised and collected, I could tell she was tired of the speech.

The tall man, Ryūnosuke (L/N), took place; he fixed the microphone and the feedback shot through my head. I covered my ears, coming back after the sharp pain ended.

Ryūnosuke's voice was powerful and booming, he seemed to have at least a knack for speeches. As much as I wanted to admire him, the image of him pulling the girl's hair from earlier couldn't leave my mind. I felt an intense hatred for this man I had never met before, and I cared so deeply for this girl I had not met before either.

Somehow it felt so right, so incredibly right. She was so incredibly perfect, in every shape and form of the word. I wanted her to be around me, I wanted to hear her voice, I wanted to hold her close and never let go, I...

"Why are you gripping the chair?" I looked up to see the girl, I heaved a breath as I looked around, seeing everyone else was back up and mingling together. She seemed annoyed by my lack of response, snapping her fingers in front of my face a few times.