alive

you said i swear to god i will never fall in love

and maybe what you said was true or maybe it was just what you tried so desperately to believe. so i let you believe it knowing you've been hurt so badly that you couldn't fathom such a strong emotion when that same emotion obliterated you to pieces. i let you believe it because love meant standing on a slippery slope and always having the fear of treacherously tumbling off the edge. i let you believe it because i wouldn't let you fall again knowing you were terrified of the height we were at.

i let you believe it because when we are alone you smile. and it's the only time your smooth red lips aren't straight. because when we are alone the toneless grey in your eyes shines shades of blue. and it's the only time that mask of yours fades and the real you seems to come out and play. i let you believe it because i didn't need a label of what we had. because labels were just words and we were all feelings. we were touch and taste and smell. we were jokes and ice cream and sunsets. we were bubble baths and wine and citrus. we were us.

we were whispers and secret sharers, late-night calls, and stolen kisses. we were a heart and a half. you and me. me and you. matching frequencies ceaselessly.

they say love is dead. but we were alive.