Chapter 02

Hey guys I was too excited to wait to upload later. Lol. So when I first wrote this, I found it was shorter than I first thought. I'm adding to it.

Tell me what you think!

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!

Vote, Commet, Fan
-----------------------------------------

As I opened my eyes, my senses were invaded by perhaps the most awful smell imaginable

I blink my eyes and realize I'm not at home. I'm moving... I'm on a train.

I am completely surrounded by people, though I recognize none

How did I end up in here? Where is my mother? Where is Lea?

The very moment I think my baby sister's name, yesterday's events come cascading back into my mind.

Tears fall from my eyes as the weight of their deaths fall on my shoulders. I have to stop myself.
I can't think of them now because I know if I do, I will break down completely. I need to be strong for them. I will not let myself fall apart so soon after losing them. I cannot give up.

In front of me, a fragile looking woman sits with a small baby in her arms. The baby only has a tiny pair of pants on.

I instantly feel bad for the poor thing. I look down at myself and see that I still have my extra sweater on.

I pull it over my head and hand it to the little childs mother.

With my sweater gone, I feel cold chills travel down my spine, which is odd, because its summer.

Why am I so cold?

She looks at me and smiles weakly but warmly. She completely covers the little baby boy with my sweater.

"Thank you, I'm Anne, this is little Erik."

I force half a smile back and reply, "Your very welcome, I'm Lena. Do you know where they are taking us?"

Anne grimances and shakes her head sadly.

"Sorry. They came and took us from our home, then we got thrown in here. That was a day ago. Pretty much the same as every one else in here. No one knows where we are or where we're headed."

"Were you alone? When they picked you up?"

She shakes her head and her face instantly transforms into a mask of sadness.

"My husband was with me, they ripped him away from us in a different direction."

I let myself look around us again finally focusing on the details. There are old, young, short, tall, plump and thin. Men, women and children alike.

They all look either sick, healthy, tired or worn out. I can't see any special pattern about any of us.

We are just normal people trying to live our lives. What could they possibly want with us?

I look to the last corner of the tiny train car and gasp.

I now know what that pungent smell came from when I first woke. At least twenty bodies, dead bodies, litter the floor of the carriage. All laying recklessly on top of each another.

I turn my head back and face Anne, my eyes starting to mist with tears.

"Yes it's horrible, they were either too weak or sick or old to finish the trip."

"So they had to die?"

"They died because they were not able to survive. And it doesn't help when you have nothing to live for." she said bitterly.

"Thats so horrible. Why is this happening to us?"

"Because we are Jewish, dear child. I fear this may be our last ride."

My world turns upside down once again. Not because I don't believe her, but because she truly believes it.

Then I realise just how bad things are for me. For us. I don't really know what I expected when the Nazis took me. But I never imagined this.

My stomach lurches as the train slows to a stop.

The big metal doors open to reveal the same young Nazi soilder that held me down back at my house.

"Welcome to Auschwitz Camp."

We are all getting herded out of the truck. A taller man that had just jumped out extends a hand to me then Annie.

I watch solemly as the Nazi soilders grab all the rotting bodies out of the car and throws them to the ground at our feet.

Suddenly a man stands out from the soilders. He is looks like someone normal but his eyes are definitely not. They look cold......bleak.

His eyes travel to the bodies and lets out a cruel, chilling laugh.

I cringe and migrate to the back of the group.

"This in front of you is the future for everyone of you who can not pull your own weight around this camp. I am the Warden Rudolf Hoess. You will follow my every order or you will die. Each week I will return and check with my officers. They will give me the numbers of the people who are slacking or misbehaving. You do not want to be one of those numbers. If you have any questions step forward!"

How could anyone be so cruel? Does this man, monster, even have a heart?

When no one steps up, he continues.

"Good. Now I will separate you into groups. Remember the people in your group, they will be your new family. You will do everything with them, eat, sleep, work and even shower."

"All girls 6 -11 stand over here, boys the same over there." He says pointing towards two small building near us. Two soldiers step out and tell each group to follow them.

"Girls 12-18 here, boys there." He points at two buildings behind the first two.

"Anyone younger than six, step forward now." About eight or nine toddlers and babies are moved to the front.

I see Anne begin to move forward with little Erik in her arms. My heart jumps out of my chest as a soilder tries to take him away from her. Anne slaps his hands and jumps back.

"No!" She screams. The warden raises a long gun and I squeeze my eyes shut. Poor Anne doesn't even have time to scream again. He only shoots the gun twice.

"Let that be a lesson to all of you! Do as you're told!"

Hoess then takes his guns and fires it at the kids lined up in front of him. Luckily my stomach was empty. I dry heaved over the gravel in front of me.

"Now follow your officers before you all join them!"

I don't even feel my legs move as I walk towards the officer with my head held up high.

She leads us to a long room filled with what looks like shower heads in a row of ten on each side.

"My name is Officer Simone. I can either be you best friend or your worst nightmare. Now, strip out off your clothes and put them all in a pile over there." She was pointing to a corner in the room.

"Line up in chronological order for a shower." She started to point to each shower head counting.

"Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen, Sixteen, Seventeen, and Eighteen. After you finish, come through that door without your clothes, they are no longer yours."

With that she walks out.

I go to the shower head Officer Simone called Seventeen. The line is short, only about five girls.

When its my turn, I twist the knob and freezing cold water splashes on my back. I gasp in surprise at the sudden freezing gush. I stop for a moment just to watch the grime that falls away from my body and into the drain.

I hurry to finish my shower to get away from the ice streaming from the shower head. Our line finishes quickly. Completely naked and shivering, we walk into the next room like Officer Simone told us too.

Somehow, all five of us manage to keep our heads held high.