Snufkin x female reader

"Ooooooh snufkiiiiiin!"  The mumrick in question let out an amused sigh, turning himself to see his one and only (y/n), a girl he'd known sense childhood with an unbeatable spunk and the attitude of a small puppy.
Running up and dropping down onto your knees next to him, you observed what he was doing, immediately being taken by the curiosity of what was in his bucket.
Snufkin had been fishing, working hard while you had been having a competition with Sniff on who could catch the most frogs.

You won- obviously.

Smiling down at the bucket full of tiny minos, you dipped your hand inside and laughed at the feeling of them nibbling on your fingers,

"Awww! They're so cute!" Snufkin looked down at them, huffing in adoration before reaching over to flick your forehead in a loving way,

"I suppose they are, don't get attached though, they're our dinner." You let out a noise akin to a strange bird with throat problems before  hugging your favorite mumrick around the waist.
His smile never left, even giving your head a small pat then throwing his line back out into the river.
You both sat there and watched him fish, listening to the birds chirp when he reeled in another mino, making you clap proudly,

"Yay!" Snufkin sheepishly dropped the mino into the bucket with the others, gently putting a finger to your chin and tipping it to look at him instead of the fish.
Your arms definitely didn't tighten and he definitely didn't notice,

"How about you go get a fire started, just like how I taught you, alright?" Your smile brightened with a small nod,

"Ai ai captain!" You did a silly salute and raced off, leaving a smitten snufkin behind you.
You had started the fire soon enough, (you'd admit, with a bit of a struggle), BUT! You did it non the less!
You sat by the crackling fire and stared into it, the flames flicked and sputtered about, catching your attention with ease.

You sighed with a sense of sorrow and fell back into the grass, looking up at the upcoming starry night, there was something that had been bothering you for weeks now.
The air was getting chilly, the leaves and grass were withering, everyone was getting more and more tired everyday.
Winter was almost here and snufkin would leave again for a whole winter, leaving you in moomin valley with tooticky, or stinky, or whoever was up.
You didn't hibernate, it wasn't in your blood to hibernate, but you found yourself basically doing so when snufkin left, it felt like a piece of you went missing when he wasn't there.

You sniffed and quickly wiped your eyes before tears could build enough to fall, you wanted these last few weeks to be nice, not laced with your tears, so you kept quiet.
It was in his blood to travel, just like how it wasn't in yours to hibernate, you couldn't ruin that for him.
When snufkin came around, he sat down the bucket and congratulated you on building the fire and keeping it alive, you had smiled even though you felt like sobbing your eyes out.

Soon, you two were eating cooked fish, you didn't know how he did it, but snufkin was always so good at making things taste amazing.
Small conversations followed and to your horror, snufkin immediately knew something was up,

"Are you alright? You seem..tired." you blinked at him, eyes shining in the fire light,

"Yeah, I'm alright, just- winter is almost here." Snufkin sighed audibly and you cringed, was he mad?
You hoped he wasn't mad.

A strong arm was wrapped around your neck and pulled you close, making sure you were snug against their side.
You felt yourself tremble and tears started to swell, so you buried your face into snufkin's coat, letting it all out.
He stayed and rubbed your arm, gently shushing you and calming you down,

"I know it's hard (y/n), but I'll always come back, I'm not going to abandon you or leave you behind."  You nodded and understood, but that wasn't what you were afraid of,

"I know, I'm not afraid of you abandoning me, I just- miss you.." Snufkin leaned down at your words to gently shove his face into your hair, taking in your scent,

"I miss you too love, I think of you day and night while I travel, as I walk and as I see the creatures on my travels, or the rushing of water or maybe the moss that grows freely, I always think of you." You felt your cheeks warm, he really thought that of you?

"Really? You do?" He smiled and lifted your face to look at his, gently slotting his lips over yours, love radiating through his every touch,

"I would never lie to you."

"I love you snufkin..." he chuckled and hugged you tight,

"I love you too (y/n)."

(HEY GUUUUYS!! Oh my gosh, I can't believe how many comments I've gotten on this book! I've seen your requests and I plan on delivering! I just wanted to finish this up, thank you all for the support!! <3)