Chapter Six: Fill The Void

"Hi, Can."

Can laughed and helped Ozge stand up. He looked at her intently, as if not believing she was actually here.

"What are you doing here?" Can asked.

"What does it look like I'm doing? Of course, I'm eating dinner," Ozge said, defensively. "What about you?"

"I'm having dinner with my mother," Can said. "Who are you with?"

"Devrim, my best friend," Ozge said. "Well, I have to go back to my table, so..."

"I'm going back as well," Can put his phone in his side pocket.

Ozge nodded, and they went back to the outside dining area together. Ozge came back to Devrim already eating. She sat down, ate her lobster, casually taking glimpses of Can and his mother.

He's awfully nice tonight. Was his dinner that good or something? Whoa, his mother is so beautiful! She looks like she could be my older sister, honestly.

***

As Can talked to Guldem, he caught Ozge looking at them through his peripheral vision. He chuckled as he watched her spill her water on her dress, while drinking and looking at them.

"What's so funny, son?" Guldem asked.

"Nothing, Mom," Can smiled. "Shall we go? I already told Halis to wait for us by the entrance."

"Let's go," Guldem said, standing up.

Can stood up as well, fixed his shirt, took one last look at Ozge and left.

***

Ozge watched as Can and Guldem left, kind of hoping Can said goodbye to her before leaving. It was weird. It felt like she missed him. And she was glad she saw him tonight. Ozge shook her head, consigning to oblivion the thought of missing Can.

Ozge, get it together. Why on earth would you miss that jerk?

Devrim looked at Ozge inquisitively, observing her nervous demeanor.

"Are you okay?" Devrim asked, stabbing the crunchy fish fillet.

Ozge looked at him, as if waking up from a trance. A trance named Can Yaman.

"Yeah, I'm good," Ozge said. "Let's finish this quickly so we can go home. I think I wanna take a long rest to clear my thoughts."

Yeah, that's it. I just need some rest. Nothing like a good ole rest to take my mind off that jerk.

Ozge ate her meal quickly, trying not to think about anything else.

***

Can watched the tall, colorful buildings of downtown Istanbul, smiling. His mind was somewhere else. Quite specifically at the Mikla restaurant where he heroically caught Ozge just in time before she slipped.

Whoa, Can. Why are you thinking about Ozge? Get yourself together. It was just mere coincidence. I mean, what are the chances of her going to Mikla as well, the same day and time as you?

Can cleared his throat, focusing on the buildings outside. Istanbul looked beautiful at night time. The air was clear, the sky was, well, not raining the very least, and it as windy. He missed this. No other place could give him homesickness other than Istanbul. He loved the feeling.

If Demet was here, she'd be glad to be back in Istanbul too.

Can tried to imagine Demet. Her face, her features, her laugh, but this time, it was blurry. He couldn't really see her face. He tried to imagine the time they slow-danced. He failed. Instead, his mind drifted off to Ozge, and the feeling of her in his arms. He caught himself smiling. It was like he missed her. And seeing her tonight was all he ever needed to get going. Like her mere presence was enough to fill the void that was inside him.

"You look happy," Guldem said.

"Just really excited for Strawberry Place and my new investment, Mom," Can said.

"I'm happy for you too, son," Guldem grinned, then she turned to Halis. "Halis, please drop me off at the office. I have to meet with a few people before I go home."

"Certainly, Mrs. Yaman," Halis responded.

Can was still looking outside when his phone rang. He took it out. It was from Yildirim Iscan. The lawyer he hired to investigate Demet's death.

"Yes, Yildirim?" Can said. "Any updates?"

"Sir Can, I have been trying to get more information from the Sofia Police Department but they only give me minimal report. What I did find so far was from the car that Miss Demet was found. Apparently, the bumper and headlights were damaged almost beyond recognition, and there was red paint on the dents, of Miss Demet's white car. Another car crashed on Miss Demet's that night, which resulted to her car falling off a cliff to the river," Yildirim said through the phone.

Can's eyes widened. "What? Does this mean---"

"Exactly, Sir Can. Someone else is responsible for her death."

Can felt his heart drop at the information. He thanked Yildirim and told him to keep him posted for new information.

Demet was killed... Demet's killer is out there still... And that person has been getting away with it for three years!

Can's good mood was replaced by anger and hatred. He clenched his fist, trying to calm himself down. Guldem put a hand on his shoulder.

"Son, calm down. We will give justice to Demet's death," Guldem said, trying to comfort Can.

After dropping Guldem in her office, Can went home, heart heavy once again because of Demet and the new information he just received. He looked at their photo, their engagement photo, and tears welled up in his eyes.

I'm gonna find your killer, Demet. And I promise I will make sure they will go to jail. I will give you the justice that you deserve.

***

"Mom, is it possible to miss someone you just met?"

Ozge asked Perran as she sat on their balcony, petting their dog. Perran went to the balcony with a plate of Boreks, and put it in the table in front of Ozge.

"Why do you ask?" Perran said, taking one and sitting down beside Ozge.

"Nothing... I was just curious," Ozge said, trying to not think about Can.

"Well, I guess it's possible..." Perran said, chewing a Borek. "I mean, if you feel a deep connection with that person at first glance... I guess you might. Why? Did you meet someone special?"

"What? No!" Ozge exclaimed.

"Alright!" Perran laughed, putting her hands in the air in surrender. "By the way, I invited our new client for dinner tomorrow night. Don't be late, okay? Dinner starts at 7 PM."

"Don't worry, Mom. I'll be there," Ozge said, taking a Borek.

"I'm excited to meet this new client."

A/N:

Hi loves! AHHHHH Can & Ozge are going to meet again. I can't wait! Haha. Keep the votes and comments comingggg. I read each one and I'm very grateful for each one :) Love you & see you in a few hours!!