Chapter Sixty-Eight: Official

"Thank you so much for doing this, Melisa."

Bilge Akburc said as she and Melisa put the boxes of clothes Melisa bought from a thrift store.

Bilge is the caretaker of the orphanage, Healing Hands foundation, where Melisa works ever since her mother died. Bilge and Melisa have been best friends ever since they met twenty years ago.

"You know I will always come back to this place," Melisa said. "It always reminds me of Mom. Oh, by the way, since I'm back working here, my first paycheck will immediately go to buying new beds and renovating this place. I want to make it feel like home for them. Like they were never abandoned, you know."

Bilge chuckled. "Do you really think your paycheck's gonna be enough to cover all of that?"

"Well, since we're best friends, and you're the caretaker, maybe you can tell our boss to give me a raise?" Melisa grinned.

"Oh please, Mr. Baki and I weren't that close. Though he did say he treated me like his own granddaughter," Bilge said and her and Melisa sat down as they finished moving boxes. "I just don't wanna take advantage of his kindness. Besides, he passed away last week due to heart failure."

"Wait, what?" Melisa gulped. "I didn't know that."

"Well, it's no surprise. Mr. Baki specifically told the other staff not to say a word about it around here or it will hurt the children's feelings," Bilge said, taking a sip of water. "I'll miss Mr. Baki. He was a billionaire but he never once treated us like we were under him."

"That's too sad," Melisa sighed. "And here I thought we were gonna celebrate his birthday with him here next week."

"We're still gonna celebrate," Bilge said, standing up as she refilled her glass of water from a nearby dispenser. "His whole family will be here next week to celebrate with us."

***

Yaren looked at her father's picture that was sitting on top of her bedside table. She couldn't remember anything about him. Not his smell, his laugh, nor even his voice. It was weird to love someone whom you couldn't remember. She was seven when Kadir died, his face was the only thing she could recall, and how he always cooked and baked with strawberries.

She knew Ozge was right. Can had nothing to do with Kadir's death, he was a victim too, of his mother's cruelty. But she couldn't help but think what it would mean for them if Ozge married Can. She would bear his name, and eventually, come to terms that Guldem was her mother-in-law. And that was something Yaren could never live with.

Guldem being a part of their family. And that was a possibility too, since the reason why she came all the way to Rome was that she heard Guldem has been freed from prison.

She stood up and adjusted her coat, since Rome was a bit rainy today. She looked at the clock that said: 12:00 PM. She was going to have lunch with Timoteo today to discuss his plans. She didn't trust Timoteo at all, but if someone could break Can and Ozge apart, it would be him.

"I'll avenge you, Dad. I promise."

Then she left her apartment, locking the door on the way out.

***

"Can, where are we going?"

Ozge said as Can pulled her to his Range Rover, opening the door for her as she got inside.

"It's a surprise," Can said as he got to the driver's seat. "Are you ready?"

Ozge laughed. "Ready for what? What on earth are you planning, Can Yaman?"

"Do you trust me, Ozge?" he said, grinning.

"I trust you with my life," Ozge said.

"Then buckle up, it's gonna be a long drive," Can said as he turned the engine on and drove.

***

"Welcome back to Istanbul, Serkan."

Mustafa Mert Koc, Serkan's cousin, greeted, hugging him as soon as he got inside Cayoglu Holdings.

"Thank you, Mustafa," Serkan grinned. "It's nice to be back."

"Where's Hande?" Mustafa asked.

Serkan gave him a look and Mustafa laughed.

"Oh, right right, you're here for your other girl, Melisa," Mustafa said as he pushed the office chair he was sitting on and it sent him sliding across the room.

"Come on, Mustafa. I'm here for Grandpa's wake. Not for Melisa. We're just friends. Besides, I don't even know where she is," Serkan said, reading his grandfather's last will and testament.

"Ahuh, so that's why you didn't bring Hande?" Mustafa grinned slyly.

"She's coming here soon, don't worry. She's just finishing some work back in Rome and she'll be here in a few days," Serkan said.

He read the last paragraph of the will and squinted his eyes to make sure he read it right. This was new information to him.

"Who knew Grandpa was such a philanthropist?" Mustafa said, standing beside Serkan as he read the letter.

"Well, I'd love to help out. We'll go to that place tomorrow since we're going to Grandpa's wake tonight," Serkan said as he folded the letter and put it back on the desk drawer.

"Alright, I'm going out for lunch. I have a beautiful girl waiting for me," Mustafa said, adjusting his suit.

"New girlfriend?" Serkan laughed.

"Of course not," Mustafa said defensively. "I don't commit, cousin. You know that."

Serkan laughed and shook his head as he looked at the papers set before him, reading them one by one.

***

"Can, what's going on?"

Ozge said as Can stopped in front of Chiesa di San Dominico Maggiore, a church in Naples.

"Ozge, we're getting married today," Can said.

"What?"

"Ozge, I feel like every second that goes by is a chance something might come between us again. I've been waiting, Ozge, to be married to you. It's been five years. I don't wanna lose you ever again. Will you marry me today, Ozge Gurel?"

Ozge laughed as tears streamed down her face.

"What about guests? A grand wedding? What about our friends?"

"We'll the do the formal wedding after. I've already informed Efe and Gultem. Serkan will know later, I'm sure he'll be thrilled," Can grinned. "Will you marry me?"

"Yes, yes!" Ozge said and they got out of the car to meet the wedding officiant at the altar.

Can and Ozge exchanged vows and kissed, for the first time in their lives, they shared the same last name.

A/N:

More things to come! What do you guys think about Hande, Serkan, and Melisa's situation? It seems like Timoteo and Yaren are up to something! Can and Ozge are officially married! What will happen next? Next chapter will be up in a few days! :)