Chapter Sixty: The Secret

"She's not Gulbahar, Kerem."

Rosanna said as they leaned on the railing on the second floor balcony.

Serkan hid behind the glass doors that led to it, making sure he was not seen.

"I know, cousin," Kerem told Rosanna. "But she has her heart. That's the same thing, right?"

Rosanna sighed and looked over on the horizon. Kerem's mansion was by the ocean, and the cool ocean breeze kissed their skin under the moonlight.

"No, it's not, Kerem," Rosanna said. "You can't just love somebody just because they remind you of somebody else. It doesn't work that way. Yes, Hande's heart donor was Gulbahar. But she's not Gulbahar, Kerem. She's Hande. And you can't imprison her in your fantasy that you and Gulbahar are still together through her. You can't do that to her."

"Yes, but it's too late now, isn't it, Rosanna?" Kerem said through gritted teeth. "I can't lose Hande now... I can't. I can't lose Gulbahar again."

Rosanna sighed and rolled her eyes.

"This is all Timoteo's fault," Rosanna said. "We should have never listened to him in the first place. I know we were friends in college but... this isn't college anymore. And Timoteo wants his revenge on Can Yaman and Ozge Gurel. We have to stop him somehow."

"Rosanna, don't you dare!" Kerem exclaimed. "Don't you dare go against Timoteo! We'll be killed!"

"And you want to live this way, Kerem? Live by obeying his evil orders?" Rosanna retorted. "I'd rather die than hurt innocent people."

Serkan's eyes widened as he heard their conversation. Cold sweat dripped down his forehead. Then, he heard a voice beside him.

"Eavesdropping, Serkan?"

Serkan turned to see who it was, only to find Timoteo's fist land on his face as he dropped down the floor. Kerem and Rosanna quickly turned around to find Timoteo looking down on Serkan's bloody nose.

"Timoteo!" Rosanna exclaimed.

"And Serkan?" Kerem said.

"Next time you two have a meeting, make sure nobody is listening," Timoteo said, wiping Serkan's blood of his knuckles. "Looks like Serkan heard everything."

"Timoteo, let him go," Rosanna said, panicking. "I'm sure Serkan won't tell anyone with what he just heard."

"Are you crazy, Rosanna?" Timoteo laughed. Then, he called his men over.

"Take Serkan to the warehouse, tie him and beat him up, but leave him alive," Timoteo said. "I can't have blood on my hands."

***

"Mom, Dad, have you seen Serkan?"

Hande asked Iskander and Yasar Ercel, who were talking with the guests.

"We haven't seen him, daughter. I thought you two were together?" Iskander said.

"We were, but something happened. Maybe he went home?"

"We haven't seen him leave either," Yasar said. "Why don't you try calling him?"

Hande took out her phone and called Serkan.

Ring, ring. No answer.

Maybe he doesn't want to be bothered.

Hande sighed and sat down as she looked at Serkan's contact on her phone.

"My love, are you okay?"

Hande looked up and saw Kerem standing beside her chair with a smile on his face.