Chapter Fifty-Five: 2 AM

"Are you joking right now?"

Timoteo asked, letting out a small chuckle. Ozge sighed heavily, tears welling up her eyes.

"Are you saying your heart is the one who chooses who it wants to love, Ozge?"

"I'm really sorry, Timoteo," Ozge said.

"No. Who is he?" Timoteo asked, his anger evident. "Who did your heart choose? Who is he?"

Tears fell from Ozge's eyes and she wiped them almost immediately. Timoteo stared at her, never turning his gaze.

"Ozge, who is he? Is it Giancarlo?" Timoteo asked. "Is it Giancarlo? Is it him? TELL ME, OZGE, IS IT HIM?!"

"Yes," Ozge said, softly.

"Oh my gosh," Timoteo said as he got up, slamming the ring on the table.

Ozge stood up as Timoteo paced back in forth in anger.

"HAVE YOU ALREADY IMAGINED A LIFE WITH GIANCARLO, OZGE?!" Timoteo shouted. "I gave you everything you needed for your chain of restaurants! When I found you and became friends with you five years ago, Ozge, you were nothing in Rome! I waited patiently for you! I courted you for four and a half years! ARE YOU TELLING ME IT'S ALL FOR NOTHING?! I'M YOUR BEST FRIEND, OZGE!"

Ozge looked down as she cried and Timoteo's tears fell down his cheeks as well. He moved closer, lifting Ozge's chin up with his pointer finger gently, looking at her intently.

"Is he more than me? Is he more than your best friend?" Timoteo said, carefully. "Is he more important than me, Ozge? I'm your best friend, no? I've been by your side these five years, not once did I ever leave you, Ozge."

"Timoteo, that will never change," Ozge said, holding his face. "You will always be my best friend."

"Listen to me," Timoteo said, and tears welled up his eyes once more. "If I am your best friend, why are you hurting me? Why are you breaking my heart? Is it so hard to love me? I look like a fool, you know. Chasing you, giving you everything."

Timoteo let out a small laugh, one that was sad.

"I'm really a fool," he said, closing his eyes. "Trying to make you love me. Trying to force you to love me. Is it so hard to love me? Is it hard? Why won't your heart choose me?"

"I wish I knew the answers to your questions, Timoteo," Ozge sobbed, holding his hand. "But I really don't know. I don't know why I feel like this. All I know is I'm in love with him. I'm sorry."

Ozge walked past Timoteo as she went back to her car. Timoteo threw the ring on the ground, sitting back down.

***

Melisa watched as Serkan and Hande walked their way out of the property until they were out of sight. She felt a slight pang in her chest, knowing they were alone together.

"What is this, Melisa? Allah, Allah," she said, as she finished washing the dishes. "So what if Serkan is with his ex girlfriend?"

Melisa went to her patio and sat down on the chair, staring at the gate, as if expecting Serkan to come back as soon as he left.

***

"What brings you here in the middle of the night?"

Serkan said as they walked down the neighborhood together. Hande took out a paper bag and handed it to Serkan.

"I went to Civitavecchia earlier but you weren't there," Hande said, then she smiled. "So I brought you a ham and cheese sandwich from the place we ate one."